Tips for cycling in York...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru

Try getting in, the queue seems to stretch to Tadcaster

keithmac

Guru
If you want to do the City Centre you are best off on foot.

Do the Bar Walls Walk as well.

https://www.yorkwalls.org.uk/?page_id=3690

As mentioned beside the River is mainly cycle tracks and very nice, Rowntree Park is a good resting spot.

They try to tout York as a Cycling City but for me commuting in to the centre every day by bike it falls short of the mark.

Some of the marked Cycle Lanes are less than the width of your handlebars so be careful when planning routes if you have your little one with you..

There's a nice cycle track to Riccall starting at the Knavesmire, all road free.

Big T

Guru
Probably too late for Andy in Germany, but If you are staying and want to visit the attractions, then it might be worth getting a York Pass. About £60 for a one day Pass or £75 for 2 days. Cheaper for a child. This gives you free access to lots of places such as Yorvik, York Dungeon, Cliffords Tower, York River Cruise, the Round York Bus Tour and a few others. Not cheap, but cheaper than paying to get in the attractions individually.

As a postscript to the above: we have a great time, although as I was warned the "cycle infrastructure" wouldn't really be recognised as such in Germany. I'm afraid I occasionally found myself being a "scofflaw cyclist" when cycle lanes were blocked or simply vanished, meaning I had to either ride in the pavement or cross a wide busy road and abandon Beautiful Daughter.

We rented a bike from the very nice people at "Get Cycling" (https://www.getcycling.org.uk/). They're probably still wondering why the bell was moved to the left side of the bike; it's because I often confuse my left and right, so I could tell Beautiful Daughter to ride on the "bell side" and she'd immediately ride to the left... The bike was fine and once on the river or well away from the city we enjoyed ourselves greatly.

Speaking of Beautiful Daughter it turns out she's very capable, even when riding in a new place and very different conditions. I know I can trust her on home territory, but she handled everything that the York "infrastructure", drivers, and weather, could throw at her.

She's wasn't very impressed by cattle grids though...

Last edited:

DogmaStu

Glad you enjoyed York.

Yes, cycling infrastructure in the UK generally is appalling. I see a cycling version of Extinction Rebellion is aiming to protest against that but I fear they risk making the average Briton's intolerance for cyclists generally even worse!

I cycled around York last week and opted to use my satnav to find cycling paths and, as you say, woeful.

Glad you enjoyed York.

Yes, cycling infrastructure in the UK generally is appalling. I see a cycling version of Extinction Rebellion is aiming to protest against that but I fear they risk making the average Briton's intolerance for cyclists generally even worse!

I cycled around York last week and opted to use my satnav to find cycling paths and, as you say, woeful.

I'd cycled there before and I was favourably impressed, probably because last time I was cycling in the UK there was nothing at all, so I had pretty low expectations.

This time, taking an 8 year old around I realised how badly designed they really are.

I also understand why UK cyclists complain so much about potholes...

Top Bottom