Tips for Newbie on SS/Fixed (flipflop)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
Is your bike being shipped already set for fixed? My Mango came set up for single speed so I rode it like that for 2 weeks. When I then changed the tyres I flipped the wheel and have been riding fixed ever since.

I don't have any real tips. All I did was ride the bike and remember to pedal. That took a little more concentration at first but I soon got used to it. I love riding fixed.

OP
OP
Yazzoo

Yazzoo

thanks guys, so excited! I believe it arrives SS but it's a simple 'flipping of the wheel' to be fixed? Or is there more to it than that!

I better use the geared one as well or I'll be in a lot of trouble, cost a lot more than the fixie!

andyfraser

Über Member
thanks guys, so excited! I believe it arrives SS but it's a simple 'flipping of the wheel' to be fixed? Or is there more to it than that!

I better use the geared one as well or I'll be in a lot of trouble, cost a lot more than the fixie!
Yes, just flip the wheel. I managed it and I'm not very mechanically minded. :smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

So, I've bitten the bullet, Friday should see me taking delivery of this beauty - http://www.quellabicycle.com/varsity-cambridge

I'm terrified and excited in equal measures, any fixed riding tips for me before I come a cropper in an over enthusiastic first ride? It comes with brakes

Looking at the pictures it comes set up for single speed, but with a fixed cog fitted. The 44 chain ring and 16 cog gives a gear about 72 inches, but I couldn't see anything about whether the chain fitted is an 1/8 or 3/32. Take it easy on your first ride, give yourself time to get used to it, have you any plans for fitting some form of foot retention? foot retention is likely to make the ride safer and more pleasant.

potsy

Rambler
If you are anything like me you'll 'flip' the wheel a couple of times for curiosities sake then put it back to it's rightful position on the freewheel side ^_^

Have fun, is this the bike you wanted to fit guards and a rack to or am I getting mixed up with somebody else?

D

Deleted member 1258

If you are anything like me you'll 'flip' the wheel a couple of times for curiosities sake then put it back to it's rightful position on the freewheel side ^_^

Have fun, is this the bike you wanted to fit guards and a rack to or am I getting mixed up with somebody else?

It doesn't look like its fitted with mudguard eyes or carrier mounts. I've always ridden fixed, I've never ridden single speed.

My first (and only so far) ride on fixed was with a borrowed mate's bike in a busy town centre at morning rush hour. It was also my first time with the old school, leather strap toe clips.

I managed the first 50m with no problems. Then there was a t-junction - left lane to turn left and two lanes for ahead, controlled by traffic lights. I picked the middle lane. Lights on red. I applied the brakes, as you do, and came to a gentle stop. Fine. Then I tried to put my foot down, but I had yanked the toe clips way too tight and my foot would not come out. I balanced for a good six or eight seconds but then came the inevitable, but graceful, topple over.

Unfortunately, as I lay there in the middle of the junction, the leg that was on top of the bike was stretched out straight and I could not reach the toe clips to undo it. The leg that was closer was under the bike and I could not easily reach that one either, due to the frame being in the way. Because of the angle I was at the rear wheel also seemed jammed and I could not "pedal" it around to get a better grasp at my feet, and being fixed I could not freewheel it backwards either.

With horns sounding and the lights now on green I could only bum-shuffle across several lanes of traffic, bike still attached to my feet and pride in tatters to get to the pavement. Thankfully there was only one double decker of kids laughing and pointing, otherwise I might have felt a bit of a plonker ;-)

Moral of the tale - pick somewhere clam, empty and free from distractions and then enjoy it,

J

Lonestar

Veteran
So many cyclists and other people at work tell me how "dodgy" fixies are but they actually have no experience of what they are actually like to ride.Fantastic control.I've had two accidents,both freak accidents over 17000+ miles (riding in London) and totally unrelated to the actual riding of the fixie itself.That's near 5 years riding them.I still ride them,it hasn't put me off at all.Also I use SPD's.Also rode a converted road bike before they become the "fashion" in the mid 1990's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yazzoo

Yazzoo

Looking at the pictures it comes set up for single speed, but with a fixed cog fitted. The 44 chain ring and 16 cog gives a gear about 72 inches, but I couldn't see anything about whether the chain fitted is an 1/8 or 3/32. Take it easy on your first ride, give yourself time to get used to it, have you any plans for fitting some form of foot retention? foot retention is likely to make the ride safer and more pleasant.

It comes with toe clips I believe so will leave those to start off with. I've got Looks on my roadie but don't really want to limit my use of this to one pair of shoes. I want it to be my 'jump on and go' bike for shopping, commute, pub etc as well as some social fun rides!

Yes, kind of fell in love with this and went off brief! oops! Might have to go clip on mudguards and a backpack! Or n+1 again. . .

Lonestar

Veteran
My gear is 50? (something like that) on the front and 15 on the back.Can't have lower on the back with the wheel I have.Cog is held in by 5 allen bolts.Great for sprinting which I need sometimes down the Mile End Road and not too slow pulling away.

Sharky

Guru
My gear is 50? (something like that) on the front and 15 on the back.Can't have lower on the back with the wheel I have.Cog is held in by 5 allen bolts.Great for sprinting which I need sometimes down the Mile End Road and not too slow pulling away.

Do you have something like these?
http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopdisc.html

These seem to have 6 Allen bolts, but I'm sure you can find larger cogs somewhere to fit. 50:15 is a nice ratio to time trial on, but a bit heavy for everyday use.

Cheers Keith

Top Bottom