Todays winge about greek Yoghurt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Onken. Greek style. Full fat. Bit of fruit. A few nuts. Drizzle of honey. Nom.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Hey, somebody forgot to put the h in Yogurt

Oh, Dang.

Etymology and spelling
The word is derived from Turkish: yoğurt,[3] and is related to the verb yoğurmak: "to be curdled or coagulated; to thicken".[4] The letter ğ was traditionally rendered as "gh" in transliterations of Turkish prior to 1928.[5] In older Turkish, the letter denoted a voiced velar fricative /ɣ/, but this sound is elided betweenback vowels in modern Turkish, in which the word is pronounced [joˈuɾt], or [joˈɰuɾt].

In English, there are several variations of the spelling of the word, including yogurt, yoghurt and to a lesser extent yoghourt, yogourt, yaghourt, yahourth, yoghurd, joghourt, and jogourt.[6][7][8] In the United Kingdom and Australia, yogurt and yoghurt are both current, yogurt being more common[9] and used by the Australian and British dairy councils,[10][11] and yoghourt is an uncommon alternative.[9] In the United States, yogurt is the usual spelling and yoghurt a minor variant.[9] In New Zealand, yoghurt is preferred by the New Zealand Oxford Dictionary.[12] In Canada, yogurt is most common among English speakers,[9] but many brands use yogourt,[13] since it is an acceptable spelling in both English and French, the official languages of Canada.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3175651, member: 259"]Yeah, I was going to say that. Go New Zealand![/QUOTE]

I have had a fondness for NZ english myself for some time, their lamb is rather nice too.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Good to know etymology there. Quite interesting.
Never see it spelled with an H over here, but that's just the way it is.
Lamb is good over here, also, but expensive.

02GF74

Über Member
If it ain't full fat then it ain't Greek yoghurt! There's just no point otherwise.
Never understood the low fat youghurt stuff - the way it is made naturally, it will be fatty, so just eat less of it. The stuff they put in it surely has to be worse.

Just like low fat butter or magarine - WTF is that? How can something that is essentially fat or oils be less fatty/oily???

yello

...but I get it. Alexi Sayle, for one, used it.

Now the big question. Sod the spelling, how do you pronounce it? Do you say 'yog-ut' or 'yo-gut'?

albion

Guru
Funny you should say that but I was getting fed up with normal yoghurt that is an insipid 2% !
Well it seems the 'lactose free' if 4%. Yummy.

I like Greek but it is too rich to eat regular. As to low fat milk, why the heck don't these people simply buy full fat and add water for a better tasting low fat milk ?

Top Bottom