Todmorden to Rivington loop, Saturday, 7th May, 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It looks like my friend Bill will probably be joining us but my friend Carrie won't.

So that looks like 4 riders with a possible guest appearance by Oldfentiger!

(Unless some more of you make your minds up to join us ... :whistle:)

Svendo

Guru
Afraid I'm working on Saturday. I usually ride on my own and usually prefer not to stop (other than map-faffing and such like), but weather allowing, I always stop for an ice-cream from the little shop in Edgeworth if I'm passing through.

Svendo

Guru
Forgot to add that Bacup road from Todmorden has been traffic light free for about a week now! fingers crossed it'll last given there's been up yo 4 sets of lights for most of the last 4 years.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Afraid I'm working on Saturday. I usually ride on my own and usually prefer not to stop (other than map-faffing and such like), but weather allowing, I always stop for an ice-cream from the little shop in Edgeworth if I'm passing through.
We know when we're not wanted ... :okay:

An ice cream would be nice, but I don't suppose we will want to stop again so soon after a cafe stop at Rivington.
Forgot to add that Bacup road from Todmorden has been traffic light free for about a week now! fingers crossed it'll last given there's been up yo 4 sets of lights for most of the last 4 years.
About time too!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Your rides are one of the exceptions. (That makes sense to me bit on sure the grammar is twisted.) if your still looking at playing with the route, the little lanes through Old Langho were a joy to ride last week. And not just because it's mainly flat!
Flatterer! :okay:

I like Old Langho. We rode that way on the way back on my Conder Green ride at the start of April. I also like Langho itself but have not climbed up that way for several years so we are going that way this time, and descending through Mellor.

We have a 200 km ride coming up on Sat, 4th June along the flatter lanes of Cheshire, if you fancy that? It will be a bit quicker than my lumpier routes but will still take all day because of the extended distance. I'll start a thread for it after this ride has been completed.

The weather forecast is looking really good. Last Friday there was snow, this Saturday the sun cream will be required! such is the changeability of the British weather.

Looking forward to a great day ride.

What time shall I meet you in Tod on Saturday morning, Colin?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The weather forecast is looking really good. Last Friday there was snow, this Saturday the sun cream will be required! such is the changeability of the British weather.

Looking forward to a great day ride.

What time shall I meet you in Tod on Saturday morning, Colin?
Details in the first post of the thread.

NOTE: It is NOT at Wetherspoons this time! :okay:

PS You beat me to it!

My cousin gave me an Edge 500 GPS like yours when he came down for the Tour de Yorkshire last weekend. I am having a few problems getting my PC to recognise it.

My USB lead charges the 500 ok but doesn't work for data transfers. That can sometimes be due to the wrong type of lead but I am fairly sure that mine is the right data/power type.

If I get to the bottom of the problem I will work out how to use the device properly. I know that you don't really understand the full capabilities of it. It looks as though I will be able to use it for navigation but I doubt that will be sorted out in time for the ride on Saturday so I will use the old Etrex.

See you Saturday!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've been wearing my baggy shorts today and had bare arms for the first time this year! I did have my knee-length travel socks on but I think I will go for short socks on Saturday. (I'm ok when cycling but my left leg can get a bit swollen when I stop if I don't elevate it or get up and walk around.)

doughnut

Veteran
Thanks Colin. Great ride and good company. And no shortage of hills! Strava tells me we made 5927 ft climbing, but I'm thinking thats under reporting by a good few hundred feet. My legs are still complaining about that last (never-ending) climb out of Bacup.

Weather stayed good all day for us, but my wife said it was raining in Adlington at 3pm so we were just riding ahead of it in the afternoon.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Thanks Colin. Great ride and good company. And no shortage of hills! Strava tells me we made 5927 ft climbing, but I'm thinking thats under reporting by a good few hundred feet. My legs are still complaining about that last (never-ending) climb out of Bacup.

Weather stayed good all day for us, but my wife said it was raining in Adlington at 3pm so we were just riding ahead of it in the afternoon.
Yes, I enjoyed it too. I do need to get some more miles in though, and also tackle my backache problem - the last few hills nearly finished me off, especially with that headwind!

My GPS made it about 1,950 m of ascent or 6,400 ft which is about what I thought.

My mapping software made it 2,500 m but I always think that overestimates by about 20%. (I think it calculates the figure from every little undulation in the road, which though technically correct, doesn't really correspond to most people's notion of 'climbing'.)

I'm feeling a bit tired and sore now so I might treat myself to a relatively early night. (Midnight, as opposed to a more typical 02:00 - 03:00!)

Top Bottom