Tomato Seedlings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I've got half a dozen tomato plants as per title, all looking very healthy and nearly three inch high on my kitchen windowsill.

They'll be going in pots in the yard when the time comes but is it best to pot them up into ever increasing pots or just stick them into the final size and be done with it?

Also, Gardeners World did an experiment a couple of years ago, my inlaws followed the advice and it worked but I can't remember which way round it was. Feed the top of the soil and water the bottom of the pot or the other way round? :smile:

Thanks in advance.

domd1979

Veteran
With mine I've only ever gone seed tray to little pots then straight to final big pots. Seems to work OK.

longers said:
I've got half a dozen tomato plants as per title, all looking very healthy and nearly three inch high on my kitchen windowsill.

They'll be going in pots in the yard when the time comes but is it best to pot them up into ever increasing pots or just stick them into the final size and be done with it?

Also, Gardeners World did an experiment a couple of years ago, my inlaws followed the advice and it worked but I can't remember which way round it was. Feed the top of the soil and water the bottom of the pot or the other way round? :birthday:

Thanks in advance.

MePower

Mornin longers, you can put them into final size pots no problem, cover them with plastic or fleece for the first few days after going outside to protect from frost etc. Water roots are at the bottom, the feeding roots are near the top and can even make new branches. These need to be taken off the plant, they grow back quick too, so be vigilant. When planting, strip off all branches apart from top 2 or 3, and plant the stem well down in the soil. It makes for better fruit and stronger plant. Warm up the compost indoors before use, as toms dont like being put straight into cold compost. Nowt better than self grown toms! :birthday:

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Thankyou very much Dom and MePower, good advice.

I'm looking forward to them already, that bit of yard is a sun trap and fairly well sheltered so providing the weather does its bit I'll be enjoying some plenty later in the year. Or making curries with the green ones in autumn.

Top Bottom