Tool "bottle"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've recently bought one of these, the 750ml size.

If I pack it very carefully I can get in:
2 tubes, Multi-Tool, Tyre levers, CO2 cartridge & inflator, tiny PRK, latex gloves.

However - repacking it "on the road" if for example I've needed just the multi-tool out is real pain. And it's no good cutting down to a single tube, because then everything just rattles around.

A tool "bottle" which opened along it's length - maybe with a zip closure, instead of a screw-on lid, would be much more easier to use in practice. Does anyone know of one?

Does anyone have another solution?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/survivaltoolwedge2

I usually want to put all the water I can in the bottle cages. This little thing carries all the tools I need, plus 2 tubes, with room for a small phone and some money. It also serves as a rest for my carradice.

What about packing the stuff in the bottle in a fluffy (or cloth :rolleyes:) pencil case before putting it in the tool bottle? It would keep your tools together but seperate from the tube and potentiually stop any rattling.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
http://www.topeak.co...vivaltoolwedge2

I usually want to put all the water I can in the bottle cages. This little thing carries all the tools I need, plus 2 tubes, with room for a small phone and some money. It also serves as a rest for my carradice.

Ah - my saddle wedge bag gets used for rain jacket / gilet / arm & leg warmers / first aid kit / lights if I might be out late / spare batteries for the GPS - that kind of thing.

I avoid carrying drinks on both cages - one bottle is enough for about 50 miles as far as I am concerned, then I'll refill it at next café/feed stop/control, and make up any hydration deficit with lots of tea.

Unless it's really really hot I want to use that second cage for the tubes/tools.

e-rider

crappy member
I rushed out and bought two of these bottles a few years ago when they first arrived on the scene - I thought " they look great". After a couple of rattly rides and difficulty accessing stuff lost in the bottom, I gave up on them. They are now sitting in my shed collecting dust.

Edit: note to self - list them on ebay tonight.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
i've got a frame bag on mine, keep my tools, kit, spare buff, my rear light sometimes or snack bar and a spare inner.
my pump attaches to the side of my bottle cage.
its also padded on the bottom so you can use it as a shoulder rest when carrying your bike up stairs and the like.
i rather like it.

i did have many moons ago a bottle toolkit that had the works in it and actually looked like a bottle, it opened like you ask too, sadly it was an aldi special or something and i haven't seen them since.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
If you get to Lidl this Thursday, you can pick up a wedge bag with multitool and puncture kit for one penny less than a fiver. See here....

http://www.lidl.co.u...index_22839.htm

On my tourer I use a wedgebag for tools and stuff - and a bar bag for all the other gubbins.

On the new "best bike" I am fighting hard to avoid putting a bar bag on it as it just spoils the look. A wedge bag is fine, but I need that space for other stuff ( I have several different sizes according to length of ride and potential variation in weather) hence wanting to use the bottle cage for the tubes and tools.

Something like one of those cylindrical pencil cases would be fine - but can't find one that is the required 73mm diameter.

ohnovino

Large Member
I've considered getting a pound-shop water bottle, cutting a slit in it, filling it with tools then taping it back up. Should be easy enough to access on the road, and as long as you keep a small roll of tape in the bottle you can re-seal it again after using.

rualexander

Legendary Member
This is what you might be looking for? Availability may be a problem though as some places have it marked as discontinued.

Alternatively a Cage Rocket might be worth a look. It doesn't open all the way along its length but if packed carefully it might be better than the one you have.

I put a small pump and tube, phone, bananas/ cereal bars and gilet / jacket in my back jersey pockets and put my keys, p'ture repair kit multi tool (with tyre levers in a small wedge bag. A rear light is nearly always attached to that and if I'm going out in the evening I may also put a cateye EL410 front light in my jersey to attach when needed. If I know I'm going for a prolonged cycle in the dark I'll put extra light on my bars and gilet. A lot of folk in my club use bottle like holders but I don't fancy it coming flying out when I hit a bump on a fast downhill.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
This is what you might be looking for? Availability may be a problem though as some places have it marked as discontinued.

Alternatively a Cage Rocket might be worth a look. It doesn't open all the way along its length but if packed carefully it might be better than the one you have.

The Cage Rocket wont work for me - because my Tacx Tao bottle cages are on the "incompatible" list.
The Trex Softshell pack looks just the ticket though - Thanks for that. I will hope to find stock somewhere.

Norm

I use one of these, with some foam I scavenged out of packing material.

Ah... just noticed that's the same as the OP. Typically, I checked all the other links first. :biggrin:

Then I'll amend it to say that I also use the Pro Bike bottle, but I have a large-ish piece of foam which I stuff into the top which stops all the rattling.

Top Bottom