Tour de Yorkshire 2016 - Where you watching from?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
View attachment 126773
On Sutton Bank today. Never stopped raining and I'm only just about getting warm now. Found this photo taken by Radio York on Twitter. I am in the bottom left hand corner looking short with my hood up and wearing a pink rucksack. Can't believe how they manage to get up a hill like that with the added hazard of everyone getting right in their faces. This is why I'm hanging back a bit.

Bugger trying to ride a bike up there its hard enough getting your car up there :giggle:

gk09

Really good day watching today. We were up on top of Blakey Ridge and there was a great crowd there considering the weather!

Between Knottingley & Pontefract a short wallk from home, here is another I took on the way home.
View attachment 126695
Couldn't decide, with the two bridges so close together

Good turnout by Knottingley Velo at Birkin for the ladies race.
View attachment 126697

I barely see many 'Featherstone RC' riders nowadays, so no idea who that is?
All I know it, it's not me, I was in Pontefract (as my photos prove)

Don't know any Knottingley Velo, but a couple of (very good triathlete/duathlete) friends run their ParkRuns in 'BBM' tops (that shop was in Knottingley, wasn't it?)

View attachment 126773
On Sutton Bank today. Never stopped raining and I'm only just about getting warm now. Found this photo taken by Radio York on Twitter. I am in the bottom left hand corner looking short with my hood up and wearing a pink rucksack. Can't believe how they manage to get up a hill like that with the added hazard of everyone getting right in their faces. This is why I'm hanging back a bit.
Not seen the coverage, or highlights yet
You can tell me, was Sutton Bank covered on TV?

Bugger trying to ride a bike up there its hard enough getting your car up there :giggle:
Not much of a bugger hauling a twin-axle caravan up it, with a 90-V8!!:becool: (quite a few years ago though)

Really good day watching today. We were up on top of Blakey Ridge and there was a great crowd there considering the weather!
The Lion is a great little pub, & that's a mega road, so long as you watch out for suicidal Sheep & mental motor-cyclists

Did you go in it, & look at all the pictures (if they're still up? - some here)
http://www.lionblakey.co.uk/photossnow.htm

Venod

Eh up
Don't know any Knottingley Velo, but a couple of (very good triathlete/duathlete) friends run their ParkRuns in 'BBM' tops (that shop was in Knottingley, wasn't it?)

I am a member of Knottingley Velo (white hair in picture at Birkin) KV was formed by ex members of BBM who were not happy with how the club was run, BBM are still going and have a good membership, the BBM shop has shut, James who worked at the shop now runs Js Cycle Shack at Ferrybridge along with John Tanner, I can recommend them, didn't recognise the Feth rider, but it was the 1980's when I was a member.

Last edited:
I rode up to just past east harsley, got myself on tv (sort of) at 80 mins. I am stood by the road side on my bill by the signpost near the red car just before it cuts to the birds flying past.

Where I was stood was after the climb out of Rounton, through Harsley and onto Brompton. It isn't a big incline but gradually climbs. It was nice to see the pros getting out the saddle to keep the tempo up.

The break away group were layering up when they went past me and the peleton was strung out. Unfortunately the zip on my jersey broke and my phone fell out, bounced off the back wheel and smashed on the floor so didn't take any pictures. Gutted!

The ride up was fab, there was loads of cow bells, cheering and flag waving as I went past. To top it all off I completed my first metric half century!

I am a member of Knottingley Velo (white hair in picture at Birkin) KV was formed by ex members of BBM who wer not happy with how the club was run, BBM are still going and have a good membership, the BBM shop has shut, James who worked at the shop now runs Js Cycle Shack at Ferrybridge along with John Tanner, I can recommend them, didn't recognise the Feth rider, but it was the 1980's when I was a member.
John Tanner, another classic Northern hard road-man, but not quite (& only just 'not') in the Wayne Randle league
Here he is trying MTB racing in the early 90's - Tivoli/Dave Marsh(?) shorts

I think, Andy Hunter (who was the manager, at Evans-Xscape, for a while - about 2008-2009, had a lot to do with the importation of Rocky Mountain back in those days)
1991. Post Hill.  John Tanner.jpg

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Did anyone record the coverage of Saturday's section through High Melton, Sprotborough and Conisborough, or was that not broadcast? Would have been nice to see it as I used to live there, but got in too late to watch it / find out it wasn't on.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
OK, thanks. Imlach mentioned they hadn't seen Handley's KOM at Conisborough, so I wondered whether they'd lost coverage again, but wasn't sure.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a rather embarrassing moment in the crowd at Scarborough's stage finish yesterday ... My cousin was somewhere in the crowd and I was going to meet him. I heard someone call out 'Colin' so I turned to speak to my cousin but discovered that it was not him. My mental wires were obviously crossed because I stared back blankly at a man who turned out to be @busdennis, a CycleChat member who has not only done a couple of long rides with me, but who has also been kind enough to give me a couple of lifts! He was standing there with his wife. At least I had a good excuse for not recognising her, because we had not met prior to that. I blurted out to him "Sorry, I didn't recognise you with your clothes on". Perhaps I should have said "Without your cycling kit on" instead ... :whistle: :blush: :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom