Tour of Britain 2014...on my doorstep (may contain SPOILERS)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Yep. They just clocked it now reviewing the finish. They did see him try to sprint away but missed him go into the barrier two seconds later. :wacko:
They certainly noticed it in the highlights commentary, which I believe is taken straight from the live show.

400bhp

Guru
He's the most famous member of the team by a very long way, and is still basically synonymous with the brand. Professional sportsmen and sportswomen aren't paid by results, they're paid for exposure. I'd expect Kristian House to command a better salary now because he's been on telly with a nice Rapha logo twice a day for the last week (and, incidentally, is being very engaging).

You are getting confused with brand advertising and a cycle team. Yes there is a crossover of course, but a top cycling team stays in the top echelons because of the rider results.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You are getting confused with brand advertising and a cycle team. Yes there is a crossover of course, but a top cycling team stays in the top echelons because of the rider results.
That's Chris Froome's job. (And the Murdochs' - they've got the money to buy whoever they want to get the results).

Sky are a sophisticated marketing outfit - they wouldn't have got into the cycling game without focussing on brand exposure.

400bhp

Guru
That's Chris Froome's job. (And the Murdochs' - they've got the money to buy whoever they want to get the results).

Sky are a sophisticated marketing outfit - they wouldn't have got into the cycling game without focussing on brand exposure.
Lets see how long "god" lasts at sky shall we.

I think its exceptionally niaive to expect a pro cycling team to carry a member. It makes no sense in this instance because he would have been in the tdf to show off sky.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Agree with all the points above but I also wonder, looking beyond the decent crowds, there's end end-of-term feel about the ToB. Quite a few of the established riders seem happy to tool around the relatively gentle countryside, while the young'ns on the protour teams don't get enough trust or support from the big names to step up.
I thought the crowd at the finish was.......slight. Compared to the crowds drawn to the Tour de France in Yorkshire and London they were very slight. We were 200 yards or so from the finish and there wasn't even a continuous line of spectators.

I thought the crowd at the finish was.......slight. Compared to the crowds drawn to the Tour de France in Yorkshire and London they were very slight. We were 200 yards or so from the finish and there wasn't even a continuous line of spectators.

It's a minor attraction tho in the cycling world compared to The Tour de France.

suzeworld

Veteran
The crowds are splendid if you compare Tof B on previous years to this year's turnout. You can't really compare it to the TdF here.
TdF organisation spent months raising community awareness and involvement in Yorkshire which made the locals very involved in all sorts of related activities. Plus it's a much more high status event to drag crowds out, and it was mainly over the weekend here too.
I have been to small town finishes in France in the working week and seen barrier at 150 metres from the finish

Adam4868

Guru
Its good that the crowds are smaller,went to liverpool last sunday and it was the best I've took the kids too.Very relaxed,easy to get a viewing point ,even at the finish.The kids also got to meet quite a few riders,had their photo taken with a few.On another note the crowd at the team sky bus was a scrum.All for a few sky paper calendars and they actually gave ONE water bottle to some lucky individual…….

Top Bottom