Tour of Britain 2014...on my doorstep (may contain SPOILERS)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its good that the crowds are smaller,went to liverpool last sunday and it was the best I've took the kids too.Very relaxed,easy to get a viewing point ,even at the finish.The kids also got to meet quite a few riders,had their photo taken with a few.On another note the crowd at the team sky bus was a scrum.All for a few sky paper calendars and they actually gave ONE water bottle to some lucky individual…….

This is as close as I got to the Sky bus and as close as I wanted to get. In there are three camera crews. mad considering you could get to any other bus with no crowds whatsoever, the one exception was OPQS which was busy but nothing like Sky.
IMGP2195.jpg

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I thought the crowd at the finish was.......slight. Compared to the crowds drawn to the Tour de France in Yorkshire and London they were very slight. We were 200 yards or so from the finish and there wasn't even a continuous line of spectators.
On the other hand, judging by the TV pictures the top of Ditchling was packed, and there look to have been decent turnouts in all the towns and villages en route. Mrs W was towards the top of one of the uncategorised climbs among a fair throng.

I think people are learning that unless there's something to shake up the race being at the finish is not necessarily the best place to spectate.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The number of people who can do that is very limited!

We had a similar idea in Guildford a couple of years ago, but (a) it was the last stage, (b) the route went up the High Street twice, and (c) the pavements are narrow - so the (very large) crowds meant an early start.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Haters gotta hate and knockers gonna knock, but it is not a minor achievement to be the first Brit to win the Tour de France and that WHY Sky bother with him.
second Brit, after Nicole Cooke ;)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
nooo! Kwiatkowski didn't put enough time into DvB? :sad:

It was a very respectable time by Kwiatkowski but it was also a great ride by Van Baarle who looks like a huge talent in the making.

As mentioned upthread, Kwiatkowski can hold his team largely responsible for his failure to win this.

Wiggo, on the other hand, can blame a total lack of giving a shoot.

Top Bottom