Tour of Britain 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Not many people have the right to moan this year, the country is pretty well covered with high quality racing.

10 minute ms paint overlay job: Peak district comes up trumps with stage 3 of the mens and stage 3 and 4 of the womens tours in close proximity.

triple.jpg

Is London not in the east, then?

Errr,no;south-east.

Actually missed the TOB in east anglia last year but we will be going to Naaaridge for the finish of the Womens race.

We are planning though to go to Brizzzle for the Saturday though as part of a long week-end.

OP
OP
beastie

beastie

Guru
Funny old world, half the posters want a weight lifting contest up hills. Organisers want a spectacle and have included a "mountain" top finish at Haytor. Seems that the cycling world is never happy that someone actually wants to take the risk of even RUNNING the race - which costs a fortune. Stop flipping moaning and enjoy. The gentleman in York can look forward to a decent small stage race all to himself in his home county, ToY, later this year.
I think it looks like an interesting parcours this year, there is a little bit of difference for each stage. Do you think it will suit a tt/climber type or a puncheur?

U

User482

Errr,no;south-east.

Actually missed the TOB in east anglia last year but we will be going to Naaaridge for the finish of the Womens race.

We are planning though to go to Brizzzle for the Saturday though as part of a long week-end.
South east is in the east, last time I checked.

I wonder why they call it Tour of Britain but confined to a small part of the country. I thought the reason for the stages (TDF) was allow for the race to be moved so that there is maximum exposure and country inclusive. Are we dealing with folks who are lazy in terms of organisation and logistics. I am sure that it will be more expensive but this is where regional sponsorship comes into play.

Best remove the word "Britain" and just call it after the region that is involved. Reminds me of the Baseball World Series.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I wonder why they call it Tour of Britain but confined to a small part of the country. I thought the reason for the stages (TDF) was allow for the race to be moved so that there is maximum exposure and country inclusive. Are we dealing with folks who are lazy in terms of organisation and logistics. I am sure that it will be more expensive but this is where regional sponsorship comes into play.

Best remove the word "Britain" and just call it after the region that is involved. Reminds me of the Baseball World Series.
So stages in Scotland Wales and England is not sufficiently diverse to qualify as the Tour of Britain? :rolleyes:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
So stages in Scotland Wales and England is not sufficiently diverse to qualify as the Tour of Britain? :rolleyes:
In a single week stage race rather than a three week grand tour.

According to the local news, the Cumbrian stage (stage 2) has deliberately been chosen to give a boost to the places damaged by the flooding back in November/December. At the moment the road over Dunmail Raise doesn't even exist, though it should be sorted by then. could be fun otherwise :smile:

Rasmus

Without a clever title

And which region would that be? The tour of "Lanarkshire-Dumfriesshire-Cumbria-Cheshire-Powys-Gwent-Gloucestershire-Devon-Middlesex"?

I can't think of a single national-level "tour of xxx" that covers the entire country in question every year. And no, it is not because race organizers are lazy.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Even the tdf barely barely covers France given the time spent in alps and pirrinees and that has 3x as many dans to play with. I say this as the grump two years ago who moaned about Scotland being completely excluded, but then looked into it and educated myself

Joffey

Big Dosser
For last 2 years I've had to drive west to watch the ToB, I'm just annoyed that I'll have to do it for a third year. Actually I won't cos I'm sick of driving 100s of miles to watch it. I'll just cycle to the TdY instead. It's a better race anyway.

Maybe once the TdY has finished they will come east.

oldroadman

Veteran
For last 2 years I've had to drive west to watch the ToB, I'm just annoyed that I'll have to do it for a third year. Actually I won't cos I'm sick of driving 100s of miles to watch it. I'll just cycle to the TdY instead. It's a better race anyway.

Maybe once the TdY has finished they will come east.
I think if you care to look carefully at the ToB history, there are hardly any parts of the country not touched in the last few years. As I noted, 8 days, a strong need to reduce transfers, and the simple question of going where the sponsorship is/sponsors want the race to go drives route planning. As it happens I don't think ToY is a better race. For a start is ranked below ToB, is 3 days only, and in a confined area. Like a Londoner complaining that ToY never goes there. Not many years ago there was not a ToB at all, until a brave organiser gambled on a success and started a 5 day race, which is now 8 days. The same organiser who runs the Women's Tour, and Tour series. 23 days of top end racing which simply did not exist not too long ago. Cut the complaining, go see some bike races, and be happy that someone is prepared to run these races (I'm told a major stage race can cost over £250,000 a DAY to run) for your viewing pleasure, if you want to partake of it. So it must be easy to say "Get more sponsors" when you don't have to do it.

Top Bottom