Tour of Britain 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
I wonder why they call it Tour of Britain but confined to a small part of the country. I thought the reason for the stages (TDF) was allow for the race to be moved so that there is maximum exposure and country inclusive. Are we dealing with folks who are lazy in terms of organisation and logistics. I am sure that it will be more expensive but this is where regional sponsorship comes into play.

Best remove the word "Britain" and just call it after the region that is involved. Reminds me of the Baseball World Series.
Rubbish. You can have no idea of the work or money involved. But complaining's easy, it's harder to actually get off the seat and DO something. Regional sponsorship? So easy to get when every council and region is saying that grants are cut and there's no spare cash.....

oldroadman

Veteran
I think it looks like an interesting parcours this year, there is a little bit of difference for each stage. Do you think it will suit a tt/climber type or a puncheur?
I think a lot will hinge on the TT stage, and the finish at Haytor. Overall a strong GC rider who may not be the best climber but is good in a technical and difficult TT will have an advantage, I think. But stage races are unpredictable, and in an 8 day race, just one break that gets a big lead and goes to a stage finish can turn everything upside down. That's one of the things that make bike racing such a wonderful sport.

Freds Dad

Veteran
Looking at the stage in Cheshire I've got several chances to watch the race. Depending on the final route I can watch the start in Congleton, head up to Holmes Chapel then on towards Tatton park to watch the finish.

Freds Dad

Veteran
I must be very lucky I am close to all the stages whilst sat on the settee .. You don't miss out on any of the action .

I agree that watching it on the tv is a good way of seeing all the action but I will record it and watch it when I'm home. Also the atmosphere around watching it live cannot be recreated on a sofa.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I did a 100 mile cycle last year to see 2 minutespf race action as they flew up a hill that I walked up. Deffo go see in person if you can

mark c

Über Member
Me and the family are looking forward to the Bristol stage, and i,m cycling down to Tiverton for the Fridays stage 6 with the added bonus it will be my Septembers 100kms :hyper:

U

User482

For last 2 years I've had to drive west to watch the ToB, I'm just annoyed that I'll have to do it for a third year. Actually I won't cos I'm sick of driving 100s of miles to watch it. I'll just cycle to the TdY instead. It's a better race anyway.

Maybe once the TdY has finished they will come east.

I had to drive east to watch the Tour de France.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Bit of a thread resurrection as we're only a few weeks away

Having had a good look at the route I'll be somewhere towards the top of the Brickworks climb on Stage 3. It's only about an hour from Glossop. Better than Cat and Fiddle as it's quite a bit steeper and it gives me a chance to get over to Tatton Park for the finish if I get my foot down. I'll try to draft @Hacienda71 to give me a chance of making it in time ^_^

Freds Dad

Veteran
We are finalising where we wil be watching. We are thinking of the start in Congleton then heading towards Holmes Chapel then on to Tatton for the finish or Congleton and top of Cat and Fiddle though Brickworks is a good call.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I'll certainly be about town on the Bristol stage, probably Bridge Valley Road, or moving about a bit.

Pondering the possibilities of taking time off work to go watch stage 5 at the sprint in Pucklechurch.

Top Bottom