Tour of California Stage 8 (spoiler)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
Today is the final stage and it looks tough from the profile, the Palomar Mountain at the middle of the stage looks evil. Astana will really need to be in good teamwork form to watch for any attacks at the lead that Leipheimer now holds. A lot of things could go wrong for him today but I doubt they will let it slip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yello

It COULD be an interesting day; we COULD see Garmin and/or High Road make attacks, to get their man up front. Personally, I'd love to see Team High Road get Michael Rodgers the winners jersey... but I do think Astana have got the bases covered.

mondobongo

Über Member
Looking forward to being able to watch a stage as off work tonight. I too would love to see Colombia or another put in a strong attack and snatch the GC on the last day, would make for some great racing to watch and some history for the ToC highly unlikely though.

Radius

SHREDDER
Astana have showed so far how quickly and how ruthlessly they can boss the peloton if they feel threatened, only one moment of panic in stage 5 (possibly? maybe wrong stage). I think they'll keep Levi up there. They've barely been in the breaks either. Should be interesting.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
If Lance believes in the meaning of his own story, he'd want Michael Rogers to win too... you know, the comeback after serious illness to win in romantic style... I certainly want him to win anyway! But I can't see Astana letting it slip away, so barring accidents, it's Levi tonight.

mondobongo

Über Member
Its looking interesting at the moment with 4 up the road inc Nibali who is 2.21 off the overall. Astana are gonna be on their tod if they chase hard.

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
A good race to read about as I didn't see any of it today. Seems as if Astana had everything under contol for Levi to get the GC. Schleck will be pleased with the stage win.

1 Frank Schleck (Saxo Bank)
2 Vincent Nibali (Liquigas)
3 George Hincapie (Columbia - Highroad)
4 Rory Sutherland (Ouch)

Final general classification
1 Levi Leipheimer (Astana)
2 David Zabriskie (Garmin - Slipstream)
3 Michael Rogers (Team Columbia - Highroad)
4 Jens Voigt (Team Saxo Bank)
5 Thomas Lövkvist (Team Columbia - Highroad)

mondobongo

Über Member
Astana did not look so imperious at the top of Mt Palomar when Leipheimer was split from his teammates in a group containing serious threats to his GC but guessing tired legs came into it as they allowed Levi to slow the pace to let Astana get back up to him. If the Schleck/Nibali group had not sat up at one point they may have gotten a bigger gap going which could have prompted even more attacking racing.

A good finish to the race and a well deserved win for Frank.

Skip Madness

Keith Oates said:
A good race to read about as I didn't see any of it today.
Probably a better race to read about than to watch; the lack of serious attacks was very disappointing, I thought.

Top Bottom