Track Worlds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Well that was a stunning ride from John Dibben in the points race. That last 500 metres was a bit special! After the race he confessed to being at his limit for 100 laps of the 160, so all credit for keeping calm and working out the situation - he just had to win the final sprint and delivered big style. Big engine, intelligent ride, and determination. Brilliant.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Superb sprinting!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Well that was a stunning ride from John Dibben in the points race. That last 500 metres was a bit special! After the race he confessed to being at his limit for 100 laps of the 160, so all credit for keeping calm and working out the situation - he just had to win the final sprint and delivered big style. Big engine, intelligent ride, and determination. Brilliant.
Astonishing turn of speed there at the end of a hard race. He's a developing omnium rider so I wonder whether he was extra motivated with Cavendish getting the omnium spot. Graf was utterly devastated at the end.

sleaver

Veteran
I was there and my ears were ringing from all the cheering for a few minutes afterwards. I'll try and get some photos up next week if anyone is interested.

The points race did look like a hard one. After Dibben took the lap, he was always looking tired and after the rider from France, took a lap, he was looking the same (I think it was the French rider out of the trio). Then you had the rider from New Zealand stopping at the start of the home straight and laying down before, well, some towels were needed to clean up.

I thought it was over after the French rider went a couple of laps out but Dibben just left it all on the track to win.

Just out of interest, what with Graf timing on points, does anyone know hoe close the count back was?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I was there and my ears were ringing from all the cheering for a few minutes afterwards. I'll try and get some photos up next week if anyone is interested.

The points race did look like a hard one. After Dibben took the lap, he was always looking tired and after the rider from France, took a lap, he was looking the same (I think it was the French rider out of the trio). Then you had the rider from New Zealand stopping at the start of the home straight and laying down before, well, some towels were needed to clean up.

I thought it was over after the French rider went a couple of laps out but Dibben just left it all on the track to win.

Just out of interest, what with Graf timing on points, does anyone know hoe close the count back was?
From what I remember of the scores, they were dead level (48?) so Dibben took it on placing alone. The French rider was Benjamin Thomas and he's going to be sore today.

sleaver

Veteran
From what I remember of the scores, they were dead level (48?) so Dibben took it on placing alone.
The commentator mentioned towards the end that it could go to count back and they kept pointing out after the finish that the results were still unofficial and yeah, it was 48 points. Having looked at the results, Graf had more sprint placings and sprint wins than Dibben so I guess it must have been on finish order.

Also got to see Chris Hoy, Mrs Cavendish and walked past Joanna Rowsell and Ciara Horne on the way back to the station.

Just noticed that Great Britain's time for 3rd place was quicker than the USA who won it and they said that the USA were going for the World Record.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I was just watching Jason Kenny performing on a feed from Eurosport. He looks to be almost back to his sprinting best. I was surprised at how much he was jigging about though, way above the red line after getting into the sprint proper. I was half expecting the commissaire to make an appearance.

Dibben won it because of his higher placing on the final sprint when the points were equal.
I was screaming at the telly and jumping around like a loon when he won, I absolutely love bike racing in any from and have fallen in love with track cycling over the last few years.
My ambition is to see the 6 days of Ghent race in full from trackside. With beer.

Last edited:
Omnium amazeballs

Greg, does cycling get any better than this?
upload_2016-3-5_21-10-35.jpeg

Top Bottom