Track Worlds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
O

oldroadman

Veteran
Madison on TV is a bit difficult to follow but in the stadium much easier, if you have a bit of experience. My luck to have had that, but then back in the stone age, a 50-51km/hr Madison felt quick. The average speed of the Madison yesterday was over 57 km/hr. Stunning. The first three teams to get a lap did it early, when things were a bit quieter. Well done to them. GB and Spain built up plenty of points, and left the chase until late, sound tactics and control. Remember no-one else was allowed to get a lap outside these 5 teams. The script worked perfectly, but that 17 lap chase to get the lap must have felt a very long way. In the end the old firm showed how to do it. Thinking it through, the chase speeds must have been around 60+. What with Laura Trott totally in control in the points race to win the omnium, and then the Madison result, it was quite an afternoon, and worth a trip to London complete with the walk to the velodrome. Just a shame that Kenny tied up horribly with under 200 to go in the keirin, probably feeling the effects of the sprint efforts. Overall, GB delivered. What might get lost in all this is how good was the organisation, brilliant job by the "invisible team". All I've got to do is save up a bit and get a flight booked for Hong Kong now!

OP
OP
O

oldroadman

Veteran
What's it like to ride a Madison?

It's bloomin' horrible. Apart from the repeated efforts and knowing where you are, avoiding wide changes, having your arm almost pulled off, missing crashes, suffering like a dog to try and get a lap, trying to get sprint points... I loved it. There's a little thingy that describes a Madison perfectly - this one during the race :banghead:and afterwards, good result or not ^_^^_^ team silly grins - we survived!
Best track race of the lot.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
[QUOTE 4185958, member: 43827"]What a daft idea to drop the Madison from the Olympics.[/QUOTE]

I believe this is due to gender equality. We need to get the girls interested in Madison as well - probably this needs to start from the juniors.

Oh, and my parents decided to phone me on about lap 30, and I couldn't get rid of them until the race was almost over :cursing:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Watching back Spain played a blinder. They picked up the 5 when taking the lap with the Brits, then sprinted the finish to nip into third overall for the first time on the line! :bravo:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Madison on TV is a bit difficult to follow but in the stadium much easier, if you have a bit of experience.
That experience is definitely an important proviso ...

I went to watch one day of racing at the inaugural event at the Manchester velodrome. I knew nothing about track cycling but most of the events were very easy to understand, and fun to watch. Then the Madison took place ...

My reaction was ... WTF!!! I was totally confused by the mayhem unfolding before me. I didn't know where the front of the race was or who was winning. The big cheers that went up from time added to my confusion. Who were they cheering for? How come people were cheating by dropping back and then carrying once they had been lapped? :wacko:

It certainly helps to know the rules, and the tactics employed!

I missed yesterday's Madison because of the switch over to the red button channel. I wasn't going to bother finding a recording of it until I read the comments here. I just fired up iPlayer to watch it - wow, what a race! :bravo:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Just watched the Madison again... What a pleasure to watch! As someone said upthread, that's one of my top sporting moments.

Top Bottom