Trainer Road - Newbie Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Hi

Thinking about getting some turbo sessions in this winter and I like the idea of a structured plan on Trainer Road. Problem is I am new to all this and wondered exactly what kit i will need.

Currently I have an old Elite turbo so I could use this but I don't mind spending a little bit of cash to get a better experience. So:

• Should I get a cheap smart trainer and if so what one?
  • If I get a smart trainer would it work with an iPad?
  • Would I be able to record my rides on my Garmin 520 (is this necessary?)
  • Would it work with an Ant+ speed sensor?
  • Would I be better buying a power meter and using with basic trainer or buying smart trainer?
  • Do you need an internet connection to use Trainer Road? No sure if the Wifi is reliable in the garage
A lot of questions I know so sorry in advance but any help / advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi

Thinking about getting some turbo sessions in this winter and I like the idea of a structured plan on Trainer Road. Problem is I am new to all this and wondered exactly what kit i will need.

Currently I have an old Elite turbo so I could use this but I don't mind spending a little bit of cash to get a better experience. So:

• Should I get a cheap smart trainer and if so what one?
  • If I get a smart trainer would it work with an iPad?
  • Would I be able to record my rides on my Garmin 520 (is this necessary?)
  • Would it work with an Ant+ speed sensor?
  • Would I be better buying a power meter and using with basic trainer or buying smart trainer?
  • Do you need an internet connection to use Trainer Road? No sure if the Wifi is reliable in the garage
A lot of questions I know so sorry in advance but any help / advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Joffey - a shame no one replied, did you move ahead with this?

How have you found it?

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi

• Should I get a cheap smart trainer and if so what one? Tacx vortex smart, Wahoo snap
  • If I get a smart trainer would it work with an iPad? Yes most software works with android and apple, check first, before purchase
  • Would I be able to record my rides on my Garmin 520 (is this necessary?) no, not necessary software records data
  • Would it work with an Ant+ speed sensor? Yes
  • Would I be better buying a power meter and using with basic trainer or buying smart trainer? if you want to compare outdoor/indoor rides accurately, a power meter, but a smart trainer for the variable resistance
  • Do you need an internet connection to use Trainer Road? No sure if the Wifi is reliable in the garage Yes internet, either tether from mobile or improve connection
Answers in bold in quote
HTH for future readers

Tin Pot

Guru
I've just signed up.

I'll be using:

• Tacx Booster
  • Wahoo Blue Speed & Cadence (Virtual Power)
  • Synching with Strava
  • iPhone 6+
  • Basic fan heater (set on low)

I'm going to be in the garage where it's pretty cold right now.

Probably drag in an iPad to watch something but might just use music. I'm pretty ill right now so my FTP test on Monday will be interesting...

Top Bottom