Transcontinental 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
Yes.
While many if not most people wil have broken the rules on that a some point, it's not very wise to boast about it! If someone were to complain I expect they'd have to give her some kind of penalty. She was a day and a half ahead of the next woman so not likely to affect that result, though

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Didn't the follower give her duff information? And since it's information a 2-minute internet search would have told her it doesn't feel like real "outside help". I'd interpret that to be things like a pre-arranged cache of clean clothes or a friend driving down with a new wheel.

I thought Emily saw it on Twitter?! Twitter was definitely the big (if not only) comms tool she was using (on her phone). The 150km thing was certainly tweeted - I saw it, knew it was wrong, but didn't think Emily would be bothered.

frank9755

Cyclist
The rules are pretty strict, designed to make it a level playing field. Basically the idea is that you shouldn't get anything - be it info, supplies or whatever - that isn't available to everyone else on the same basis. For example, one guy who lives in Berne, routed past his own house at about 1am. He stopped to chat to his wife but he couldn't stay there - he ended up sleeping in a park a few km away. He said that leaving his wife that evening was the hardest bit of the race!

This is what the rules actually say:

"If you are able to be in direct contact with a rider then it is fine to contact them to ensure that there
are OK and receive information from them. When communicating with any riders however we ask
that you to remember that this is an unsupported race and this means that support with remote
assistance including information is not permitted, especially assistance with navigation or the
finding of facilities and resources. The riders must do this for themselves. If watchers and
followers are found to be providing assistance to racers then they can contribute to their
disqualification from the race results. This includes discussion with riders through the Facebook
groups. Riders should also not be soliciting support through these discussions or any other
contact with followers. With responsibility on both sides and in the community of online following
we can ensure that all riders get an equal and fair chance to have this solo adventure."

http://reportage.transcontinental.cc/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/TCR-Race-Manual-2016-Iss1-May.pdf

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am an Emily fan and did not post my question to cause waves for her, just out of interest.

I am sure most of the riders got outside messages either directly or indirectly. All Frank had to do was to look on here and he could see how far he was away from Emily at any time.

This is the type of race where the riders don't want to break the rules, otherwise it is only themselves they are cheating, they know that. There is a difference between breaking the rules and bending them slightly.

You missed a question and answer session with Frank yesterday morning. He was prepared to answer questions in return for beer.
Oh, damn.

Top Bottom