Transition lens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have a pair of transitions as my "cycling" glasses - I also use them skiing - I use varifocals and have to say I think they are brilliant. I also have regular non tinted glasses for everyday use and prescription sunnies too so its not like i am wearing them in the office etc. I got the "faster" transitions because there wasn't much of a premium over regular transitions.

as above slightly slower at adjusting to indoors / less sun than the other way, but you can always stick them under your jumper for 10 seconds and they think its gone dark and lighten!!

they are so much better than swapping between sunnies and regular glasses constantly

I've never used a welding mask whilst cycling to compare...:okay:

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I had my eye test yesterday and duly ordered my glasses..I had already made my mind up which frame I wanted so that was the easy part..
I was slightly undecided on what colour to have my transition lenses.I was given the choice of grey or brown.
When they suggested grey, I literally just thought of a dull wishy washy grey and didn't realise that meant full dark sunglasses appearance,so I went for brown..I don't know whether I've made the right choice now ,purely based on personal aesthetics.
Reading up about this differences the brown tint would be more practical because there supposed to pick out more detail and give better contrast against backgrounds which would suit my needs whilst operating some large machines outside.
A quick question do brown tint make red colours more vibrant just like driving glasses

PapaZita

Guru
A quick question do brown tint make red colours more vibrant just like driving glasses

I’ve got brown transitions in my cycling glasses. They do do something to red colours. I’ve noticed it on our red front door when putting the glasses on or taking them off, but in normal use they seem very neutral. I think the brain adjusts quickly. Detail and contrast seem great, and I love that they go (as far as I can tell) completely clear at night. I Think you’ve made a good choice.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I popped back to the opticians today and tried some grey and brown lenses just to be 100% about what I want.
I was definitely sold on the brown lenses.
The grey felt very drab whilst the brown gave off a warmer colour creating a more colourful upbeat feel, which during the winter months can only mean a good thing.
So in around 3 weeks time I should be sporting my new bins🤓

T4tomo

Legendary Member
my transitions are grey, as that suited the frame colour. I have some other prescription sunnies that are brown (as that suited those frames), now that you mention it we were sat at a beach bar earlier in the year and I was waxing on about what a beautiful evening sunset it was and the other guys were - well its so so, and when I took the sunnies off it wasnt anything like as pinky orange as I thought, so they must enhance red light.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Don’t forget to try blue transition lenses

Joking aside I used to have (well still have but they aren't varifocal and think the distance prescription is about 0.5 too strong) some blue tinted (not reactive / transition) prescription glasses which we very good for low light and still strong enough in bright sunlight to reduce the glare.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Joking aside I used to have (well still have but they aren't varifocal and think the distance prescription is about 0.5 too strong) some blue tinted (not reactive / transition) prescription glasses which we very good for low light and still strong enough in bright sunlight to reduce the glare.

I do have blue transition for my latest glasses. They are a thing and I do like them.

Top Bottom