Triban 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan57

Hello to all.
I currently ride a full sus Marin Shoreline Trail , I use it for all things , going to the shops, commuting etc. However , just received a tax rebate and am going to buy a Triban 3, ( it`s at my max budget ),i`ve wanted a road bike for a while as the Marin is pretty heavy going on the roads and I am tired of road bikes going past me with ease:blush: . I have checked out lots of info on bikes around the £300 and the Triban seems to win it , I don`t want to spend more until i`m sure a road bike is for me . The trouble is i live in Devon and no Decathlon stores :sad: so I will be going online to buy . My question is size , I am 5' 9" and 33 inside leg, so I was wondering between the 54 or the 57 ? I know ideally it would be good to try before buying but I do not have that option . Any help or advice would be appreciated, cannot wait to get on a lighter bike and get going !!!

musa

Über Member
First thing I would say is try similiar bikes if you can
I would say 57, 54 might be just at the max for it

EDIT just spoke to someone whos come away with one he got a 54 and hes 5ft 8

hope that helps

Kwacka

Über Member
I bought a Triban 3 about 6 weeks back and I love it. I'm 5 ft 9 with a 30" inside leg and went for the 54 which seems to fit perfect.

lb81

I'm 6ft and have the 60cm, the geometry is not too long in the top tube and overall is quite compact but it does come fitted with a 120mm stem which makes the reach a little long. If you have longish arms and upper body I would say the 57 but the 54 will probably be more like it if you don't want to stretch out too much.

They are superb bikes for the money but if you can I would budget for a new saddle straight away as the one that comes with it is horrid for longer rides...

Look forward to hearing how you get on :smile:

Edwards80

Über Member
I'm 6ft and have the 60cm too. I tilted the bars ever so slightly and now the reach is perfect.

Done over 2200 miles on mine now since the start of the year. You won't regret it :smile:

OP
OP
Alan57

Alan57

Thanks for the replies , I have read a lot online and most of the measurement calculations i`ve found point me to the 57 frame size. I suppose if I go for this and feel a little stretched out I could fit a shorter stem than the 120mm fitted one ? cheers

Fubar

Guru
Hi, as you can see from my avatar I also have a Triban 3 - I'm 5'5'' and have the 54 frame which is fine for me. Decathlon don't always have all the frame sizes in stock so you might have to wait for the frame size you order. I've found the Triban 3 a really great first road bike, not too expensive that you don't want to ride it but not too cheap that you feel out of place in a group - haven't changed anything so far except add weight (that includes mine!) though there is time! Only negative is the standard lights are pretty poor, not good enough for night riding though that doesn't affect me too much. Enjoy!

lb81

Thanks for the replies , I have read a lot online and most of the measurement calculations i`ve found point me to the 57 frame size. I suppose if I go for this and feel a little stretched out I could fit a shorter stem than the 120mm fitted one ? cheers

Yep can swap the stem for a shorter one but the reach can be adjusted by tilting the bars and or moving the hoods. If you find the riding position a bit low you can also flip the stem over for some positive rise!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Depends if you want it for speed or comfort. I would encourage you to test ride similar bikes, if at all possible. 57 with less seatpost showing and a longer headtube will be slightly more upright, providing the 120mm stem isn't too long (which can easily be swapped for a 100/90mm one). The 54 will be more head down ar*se up but probably won't be a million miles away from your size, either.

OP
OP
Alan57

Alan57

Now have a spanner in the works ( literally) I noticed one of my neighbours had a felt 85 out in the back garden . So i`ve had a word and have the bike so I can price up how much it would be too get it roadworthy again . It`s his sons whose moved abroad and lost interest , the frame is aluminium with aluminium forks ,size54cm , bit of bubbling on the paintwork from being outside . wheels still good and true,wheel bearings free and no rumble/movement, gatorskin tyres, bottombracket good, crank has a bit of rust, needs new chain , shifters work still changes up and down ok,but might need a rear mech. So i`m thinking of having it and using the money from not buying the triban to get it good again .Obviously needs some TLC and some cosmetics done , bolts cables etc . What are your thoughts , is it worth the investment . Cheers .

Ethan

For what its worth I ride an older decathlon which is a 57cm frame, im 6'3 and while its obviously to small, I've had no issue and actually prefer it to riding larger bikes.
Im looking to buy a new bike soon, and I still don't think I'll be going for the advised frame size! Just doesn't feel right to me. Mind you, I do like the head down and arse in the air! (even if my neck doesn't agree.)
My advice is to try similar bikes (friends perhaps?) for the sizing and what feels right for you.

Having said that, I'd rather have the felt!

Top Bottom