Tricky neighbour situation, what to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

About a year or so ago my elderly next door neighbour passed away, leaving her house empty for a while, and since then the family have rented it out to a young couple who spend more time on their backs than keeping the place respectable, and it`s going to the dogs. They are a pain in the backside and I can`t stand them.....I`m waffling.

Anyway, their garage is joined to mine, and in their garage lies the problem. They have a tumble dryer in there which gets left on all day and night, whether they are in or out, AND when I looked at it when he left the door open it`s one of those affected by the fire scare, and the garage is piled high with boxes and crap.

In my garage, I have all my bikes, my tools, my car (a golf R32, not an everyday car, but a toy, my pride and joy). I`m seriously worried that this nobber is going to let his own garage go up in flames, and take mine, and all my stuff with it:eek:

I do know the family, and can only think about having a quiet word as they own the house, but am I being nosey??

It`s getting to the point where I`m thinking about bringing my bikes in and putting them in the loft, and me renting a garage somewhere to put my car in, I`m basically thinking about emptying it just incase the worst happens.

Don`t know what to do for the best here..................

vickster

Legendary Member
Talk to the owner about your concerns, they won't want their house burnt down either. Is there a lease in place that stipulates conditions about keeping the house and garage in a certain way that can be enforced?

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Talk to the owner about your concerns, they won't want their house burnt down either. Is there a lease in place that stipulates conditions about keeping the house and garage in a certain way that can be enforced?
I don`t know to be honest. I`ve dropped the couple that own it a facebook message asking if I can pop over to see them (they live about 500 yards away) and have a chat about an issue with the house, will wait and see.................

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Everyone who had an effected dryer was sent a service request asking them to contact their supplier so,as to have the dryer made safe.
Maybe they had it done, or the dryer replaced; those were the options.
Not atall saying you shouldn't be concerned, but just letting you the score.
We bought our daughter an R32 last year. Nippy little bugger!

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

What separates the two garages (adjoining wall) can your garage be cladded from your side with fire retardent material?
It`s a breeze block wall, but the wooden rafters for the roof go right through, perhaps that is enough to stop it?? I don`t rant to risk finding out though

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Everyone who had an effected dryer was sent a service request asking them to contact their supplier so,as to have the dryer made safe.
Maybe they had it done, or the dryer replaced; those were the options.
Not atall saying you shouldn't be concerned, but just letting you the score.
We bought our daughter an R32 last year. Nippy little bugger!
Thanks for the info there:okay:

As for the car, it`s lethal.............and thirsty!

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Got a reply to my message from the owners, they`ve said I`m most welcome to pop around and see them, and they are concerned as to what I`m worried about, so it`s a good start. I don`t care if my neighbours take offence, I don`t give a stuff, I`m just worried about my own property/things, which I have worked hard to pay for:okay:

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Got a reply to my message from the owners, they`ve said I`m most welcome to pop around and see them, and they are concerned as to what I`m worried about, so it`s a good start. I don`t care if my neighbours take offence, I don`t give a stuff, I`m just worried about my own property/things, which I have worked hard to pay for:okay:
Can't argue with that mate.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That's good news. What you really don't need is to sit silently and fester about it. Well done.

Globalti

Legendary Member

Good solution but haven't you also paid to insure your possessions?

Top Bottom