Trip report from a reborn artic driver.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It has been over 2 years since I actually drove an articulated lorry, having previously driven them on a full time basis for about 6 years. I took redundancy and since then have been employed in other ways. As of September 9th, all drivers who want to earn money from it must possess a Certificate of Professional Competency (CPC for short; and don't start me on the rights and wrongs of that particular piece of money raising bureaucracy, that's a whole new thread).
I am not convinced that I want to invest £350 on sitting a course for a certificate which I may or may not find a use for in the future, so I decided to have a last blast at driving a lorry and see if I still enjoyed it. So I contacted an agency that I have done work for in the past and they assured me that they have plenty of work if I want it. Ha ha; we have heard this before! But as I am not fully relying on this for a wage I decided to give it a go. Last week I spent 3 days driving a gully cleaning rigid truck; a dirty filthy job and a truck which had very much seen better days. It was a labourers job, not a drivers job. So I told the agency not to send me back to that particular company and asked them to find me an artic to play with.

Today they found me this (not me in the photo but it was this company and same lorry):

Photo-29-08-2013-14-42-09-642x250.jpg

It was a 07:30 start, quite civilised in trucking terms as it can often be much earlier. To be honest, I was slightly nervous about getting behind the wheel again, especially when I found out it was a spotless 2014 model! Sometimes it is better to have a lorry which has seen a bit of action, as the owners are not so fussy if you scrape a loading bay or a misplaced pallet at the side of the cab.
Anyway, I put my tachograph card in the unit and set about doing my checks. The unit and trailer were already hooked up together so no need to start off with that faffing. Next, get the driving position sorted and those mirrors adjusted to erradicate the blind spots (which they DO, once properly adjusted @MontyVeda ;)).

Time for the off then, as I gingerly made the tight turn out of the gates of the depot, with an audience which included a couple of drivers I know from the past when our paths used to cross at Aberdeen airport. They were quite amused to find that I hadn't driven for 2 years and were ready to pounce on any mistakes. Luckily there were none as I left the yard.
My route was a pleasant one today, from a depot near the Braehead shopping centre in Glasgow down to Galashiels in the Borders via the M8, A720 (Edinburgh bypass) and A7 to Galashiels. The M8 was its usual nose to tail self, then stop/start until you clear the Kingston Bridge bottleneck (on the return I avoided that by taking the new M74 across the south side of Glasgow). The run was clear along the rest of the M8 until .... a major hold up at Livingston junction 3, all the way to the Edinburgh by-pass. Rather than sit in that, I got brave and headed off to the A71 which runs parallel to the motorway and also joins the Edinburgh bypass.
Down the A7 was a bit stop/start with all the works going on for a new railway line from Edinburgh into the borders, and then Galashiels itself was a nightmare with all sorts of works and diversions going on.
TomTom helped me to find my destination, a packaging company right beside Gala RFC home ground. I had a full trailer for this one drop, about 16 tons of packaging materials. The signs directed me to "goods in" at the back of the plant, in a tight little yard which had a skip sitting right in the place I wanted to be to get reversed onto the loading bay!
So my first reverse in 2 years was going to be a little bit challenging, involving a bit of "jack-knifing" of the trailer (getting the angle of the tractor and trailer past the right angle) to get it onto the bay. Well for once I got lucky and got the trailer onto the bay without too much trouble :smile:. The storeman said it would take about half an hour to unload, so I asked if there was anywhere nearby to get lunch. He sent me to the Borders College across the road, which has a very nice canteen open to the public. A soup and sandwich was had for lunch, then I wandered back to the lorry. By that time my regulation 45 minute rest break on the tachograph had been recorded and I was ready to move off the bay and head back to Glasgow.

I found my way back through the diversions in Galashiels and onto the A7.. Not far north, I came across 2 cycle tourists. Very brave of them I thought, cycling on the A7, a narrow trunk road. Each to their own, but it wouldn't be me. I waited behind them until it was safe to get past them both at once as there was a gap of about 40' between them.. Moving onto the opposite lane (of course!) to give them plenty of space, I got past them and headed back to base. The return journey was much quicker as there were no more hold-ups on the motorway.

Getting back to the depot about 3pm meant I was a bit early to be finishing (trucker hours are long, which is one reason why I don't have any intention of doing it full time) so I did a quick run down to Prestwick Airport and back to pick up a full trailer of freight for the night shift driver to take down to London Heathrow tonight. The collection at Prestwick involved another couple of tricky reverses; both of which went better than I was expecting. I didn't embarass myself anyway!

Sooooooo.... this little experiment looks like costing me £350 for my CPC as I really quite enjoyed myself today and I would like to think that I could make use of my hard earned HGV licence, even if just occasionally, in the future. Sorry for my non cycling related ramblings, but if you have read this far then you might just be one of the fellow truckers on here :thumbsup:.

Sooooooo.... this little experiment looks like costing me £350 for my CPC as I really quite enjoyed myself today and I would like to think that I could make use of my hard earned HGV licence, even if just occasionally, in the future. Sorry for my non cycling related ramblings, but if you have read this far then you might just be one of the fellow truckers on here :thumbsup:.
Nice tale Brandane and I'm glad you enjoyed it and that you've decided to keep up to speed with your licence :thumbsup:

I'm sure you will but be sure to shop around. My CPC cost me £225 with a local company, (if paid in full upfront), and it wasn't some dodgy set up where you signed in at morning and then went straight out the back door either ;)

Some companies though are taking advantage as the deadline approaches and are charging really silly money for doing it :cursing:

The content of the modules is mind numbing TBH, but with everyone else in the same boat, and the 'trainers' knowing they're pi$$ing in the wind trying to get everyone motivated the sessions passed surprisingly quickly, just try and make sure if you do it the 5 x 7 hour module way you do 5 different ones, otherwise your brain will turn to soup :tongue:

There's other ways to do it as well, for instance ADR training counts as 21 hours IIRC, and I think first aid can count as well, but obviously this might push this cost higher as well.

Some agencies put drivers through it the CPC as well I believe so might be worth having a word with the place you were driving for today.

I'd love to have a go at class 1, but TBH I don't think I'd want to drive class 1 all day every day. I'm quite happy with my class 2 wagon, in fact it was a joy this morning going over Woodhead Pass to Sheffield, the weather was great and the scenery was stunning, you can't get that sat in an office can you ^_^

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm jealous.

I've always fancied a spell of driving an articulated lorries for a living. It's too late for me now and I'll have to be content with the five summer's worth of agricultural work when I got to drive tractors and trailers that I did as a student.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Some companies though are taking advantage as the deadline approaches and are charging really silly money for doing it :cursing:
I was hoping that the costs might drop AFTER the deadline date as most people will have done it before then, but who knows what will happen. Hopefully there will be more choice of work after the deadline date, as I can see quite a lot of older drivers not bothering with CPC and just hanging up their keys. Again it remains to be seen.
I might look into doing my ADR as part of the CPC.. In Scotland we can get £200 worth of funding towards the cost of courses as long as income is below £22k per year, which mine is at the moment - as long as I don't do too many agency shifts! :laugh:

stephec

Legendary Member
in fact it was a joy this morning going over Woodhead Pass to Sheffield, the weather was great and the scenery was stunning, you can't get that sat in an office can you ^_^

Did you not get stuck in the roadworks in Hattersley?

I went over there on Monday morning and joined the back of a half mile queue to the end of the M67, it took half an hour to get down to Longendale where you turn right for the A57.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm jealous.

I've always fancied a spell of driving an articulated lorries for a living. It's too late for me now and I'll have to be content with the five summer's worth of agricultural work when I got to drive tractors and trailers that I did as a student.

Yes it CAN be good fun and enjoyable on a nice day, with an uncomplicated run down to the Scottish Borders.
The other side of the coin as I have had in the past is doing multi-drop in the south side of Glasgow with low bridges at every turn. Getting out in the rain and wind, un-buttoning the side curtain and opening and closing it multiple times. Steaming up the windows every time you get back in the cab........ I think my heart beat was running a lot faster that day; and I accumulated some more grey hairs.
TBH I wouldn't like to do it full time again, purely because of the long hours most companies expect you to work. The legal limits on driving/working hours are regarded as a target rather than what was intended.

Gawwwwd I'm having second thoughts now; might save myself the CPC fees! ^_^

vernon

Yes it CAN be good fun and enjoyable on a nice day, with an uncomplicated run down to the Scottish Borders.
Getting out in the rain and wind, un-buttoning the side curtain and opening and closing it multiple times. Steaming up the windows every time you get back in the cab........ I think my heart beat was running a lot faster that day; and I accumulated some more grey hairs.

That's luxury compared to tractor driving for the Co-op. None of the tractors had cabs and wet weather didn't halt operations. Reversing a trailer into greenhouses was a nerve wracking experience especially since the geometry of the tow bar/tow hook and rear wheels limited the angle of the trailer to the tractor.

It did have its compensations. Lunch-time wheelie competitions using rear mounted pallet forks as anti-roll bars were exhilarating events.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Hopefully there will be more choice of work after the deadline date, as I can see quite a lot of older drivers not bothering with CPC and just hanging up their keys.

My dad's sort of like this. When he reached retirement age a couple of years ago, the company he was working for took him off full time work and put him onto casual (something they can't do now, but he was a month or two too old), so he was between the full timers and agency staff in the handing out jobs order. His CPC ran out a couple of months ago, and as casual, the company wouldn't pay for it to be renewed. Luckily, the company has a warehouse, and they've found him work as a shunter - something he can do as he's not on public roads. It's nights, but it regular work, so he's happy.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A great post Brandane. Ten days ago I saw a foreign driver reverse a simply massive artic round a tight corner (with a traffic island) off Kings Road, London. Quite how he worked out the tractor/trailer angles, I will never know. I watched in awe.

vernon

A great post Brandane. Ten days ago I saw a foreign driver reverse a simply massive artic round a tight corner (with a traffic island) off Kings Road, London. Quite how he worked out the tractor/trailer angles, I will never know. I watched in awe.

When I worked as a warehouse manager for MFI in Bradford thirty five years ago, one of the MFI artic drivers used the recently vacated adjacent warehouse unit to turn his rig through 180 degrees. The fact that the warehouse doors were only five feet wider than his rig and that there were vertical pillars within the warehouse space and that the depth of the warehouse was about twice the total length of the rig left me flabbergasted when he confidently drove into the warehouse and, without reversing at any point, emerged cab first. Totally awesome.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I'm jealous.

I have a couple of friends who have filled all the options on their driving licences, just to have them. I believe the 'steam roller' proficiency was tags trickiest to get.

Top Bottom