Trofeo Costa Etrusca/Trofeo Binda Cittiglio Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skip Madness

I thought I would start a new thread as it seems a bit daft to clutter up the Vision 1 thread with every bit of women's racing news.

The World Cup kicks off a week on Sunday in Cittiglio, but over the course of this weekend there is the Trofeo Costa Etrusca - three one day races over quite lumpy parcours, which serve as the unofficial warm-up races for Cittiglio. The field is incredibly strong amongst virtually all teams.

Anyway, the first race was today - the Rosignano-Livorno - and Emma Pooley won for Cervélo. She was in a breakaway with her team-mate Kristin Armstrong, as well as Susanne Ljungskog, Marianne Vos and Nicole Brändli. Pooley attacked on the final climb of the day but fell and was brought back by the pursuers. But the good work of Kristin Armstrong took both Pooley and herself to the line ahead of Vos in third. Cervélo also had Claudia Haussler finish seventh (is this going to happen with both their women's and men's teams, then?), while Vision 1's highest finisher was Vicki Whitelaw in eighth.
Emma Pooley: It was a lively race and we knew we would have to ride well tactically. I chose to attack on the final climb but then I fell and ended up back in the original breakaway group. I have to thank Armstrong who rode very well over a finish like today's. As far as my own form is concerned, I have shown that I am already in good condition, having put a lot of work into the preparation before the race, and am I am on the right track for my season's objectives.
It looks like it could well be another strong season for the Brits. Pooley won in Cittiglio last year and clearly her form is good already.

Tomorrow is the Riparbella-Montescudaio, and Sunday is the Santa Luce-Castellina. Both are characterised by rolling profiles and uphill finishes.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The whole series sounds ideal for Pooley. I am a big fan of her style of riding - it's how I ride except about 100 times better!

OP
OP
Skip Madness

Skip Madness

Today was the Riparbella-Montescudaio, and another win for Cervélo - this time with Sarah Düster. Emma Johansson and Noemi Cantele rounded out the podium, while Nicole Cooke was fifth. Apparently it briefly snowed at the start.

Tomorrow is the last major race before Cittiglio, so I expect many riders who have not figured much these first two days to give it a push.

OP
OP
Skip Madness

Skip Madness

In the Santa Luce-Castellina today, Linda Villumsen won ahead of Modesta Vzesniauskaite and Emma Johansson. Once more Nicole Cooke was the best placed Brit, coming in ninth.

Nothing to do with the Trofeo Etrusca or Binda, but Alex Greenfield beat a decent field in the (non-UCI-ranked, but still difficult) De Pinte, part of the Wielertroffee Vlaanderen series. She finished 48 seconds clear of the bunch, which included Lucy Martin (6th), Katie Colclough and Jess Allen. Alice Monger-Godfrey also finished, 1:21 back in 65th position.

EDIT - You can see a video of Greenfield's win in De Pinte from a news report here.

OP
OP
Skip Madness

Skip Madness

There is now a start list in PDF form on the official website (EDIT - for Cittiglio), which contains Pooley and Cooke as the only Brits. If you cannot be bothered to download it here are some selected names:

Columbia: Judith Arndt, Chantal Beltman, Luise Keller, Linda Villumsen
Cervélo: Emma Pooley, Kristin Armstrong, Sarah Düster, Claudia Hausler, Christiane Soeder
Nürnberger: Suzanne de Goede, Regina Schleicher, Trixi Worrack
Bigla: Nicole Brändli, Noemi Cantele, Jennifer Hohl, Modesta Vzesniauskaite
Selle Italia: Fabiana Luperini, Martine Bras, Luisa Tamanini
Gauss: Tatiana Antoshina, Julia Martisova, Eva Lechner
Flexpoint: Susanne Ljungskog, Mirjam Melchers
Red Sun: Emma Johansson, Paulina Brzezna
Safi: Alona Andruk, Diana Ziliute
Vision 1: Nicole Cooke, Vicki Whitelaw
Lotto: Rochelle Gilmore, Grace Verbeke
Dilà: Edita Pucinskaite, Marta Vilajosana, Silvia Tirado
Chirio: Daiva Tuslaite, Clemilda Fernandes
Fenixs: Natalia Boyarskaya, Tatiana Stiajkina
Michela Fanini: Rosane Kirch
Uniqa: Monika Schachl
Top Girls: Alessandra D'Ettorre, Jennifer Fiori
Netherlands: Marianne Vos, Andrea Bosman
United States: Amber Rais
France: Magali Mocquery, Sophie Creux
Hungary: Monika Kiraly

OP
OP
Skip Madness

Skip Madness

Cittiglio tomorrow - I have scouted around but I cannot see any Italian television broadcasts. Hopefully something will crop up on Youtube.

I expect riders like Pooley and Cantele to be heavily marked, but that could open up the door for a few other riders - in particular I am thinking of Modesta Vzesniauskaite who is already in very good form, and Claudia Häusler, who has not shown a lot yet but is a real danger on hilly terrain. They may be given some leeway, which would be dangerous.

OP
OP
Skip Madness

Skip Madness

Marianne Vos took victory in a two-up sprint with Emma Johansson. Emma Pooley attacked early on and built up a lead of 1.30 at one point but was reeled in. Kristin Armstrong and Eva Lutz were eventually the closest to Vos and Johansson more than three minutes back. Vicki Whitelaw and Christel Ferrier-Bruneau were the only Vision 1 riders to finish, while Pooley was the only Brit to finish (Nicole Cooke, Gabby Day and Catherine Hare all abandoned).

You can see a brief video report of it here.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Disappointing all round... great try by Pooley, but she paid the price, coming in last. Vos looks very strong, and Cooke is going to have to improve her form to get up with her this season.

Keith Oates

Janner
I don't know why but for some reason I'm not a Vos fan. As for Nicole, I hope this is just an early season blip on her form but I have some reservations about how she will perform within the new team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Skip Madness

Skip Madness

Keith Oates said:
I don't know why but for some reason I'm not a Vos fan.
I have never been a fan but an admirer nonetheless. That was until last season when - I forget if it was in the Vuelta a El Salvador or Vuelta a Occidente (the former I think) - she was in a race-winning breakaway with Tatiana Stiajkina and Stiajkina punctured with about two kilometres to go. While she was getting a new wheel (and in no danger of being caught by the bunch), Vos attacked and went on to win the stage. Stiajkina was understandably annoyed by that.

Vos is a great rider, no doubt about it. Not likeable, though - I want to see anyone beat her.

Top Bottom