Try before you buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicykell

i have a Sirrus Sport which I have finally got set up to suit me, and I really enjoy it. In spite of this I have a hankering for a drop handlebar with thinner wheels, hydraulic disc brakes, at least Tiagra and maybe a steel frame, but don't want to go above £1500.

I think I should have a decent ride on a 52 cm bike to help me decide if this is a good idea. My two LBS are happy for me to go about. 200 yards to try a bike out, but I really would like to ride one for an hour or so to "bed in" and see if drops are for me, at my tender age (65 in body, 25 in minds eye).

Is this reasonable to ask of an LBS to borrow a bike for this long or does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? I don't have any short arsed friends.

Shops have "demo bikes" but not in my size. Scotby cycles have a Cannondale demo in their sale, but it's never been on the road and they are selling it as unused. It doesn't have the spec I want but I had a sit on it and it feels neat.

Renmurew

Veteran
When I was looking to buy my first road bike earlier this year, My LBS allowed me to borrow their demo bike for a weekend to see if drop handle bars were for me. The demonstrator wasn't the spec I would have bought but the size was right. However it was perfect for trying out the different riding position. Having decided a road bike was for me I went back to the LBS to try out some differnt bikes to find one that "spoke" to me. Unfortunately they couldn't let me try anything other than the demonstrator and I wanted to avoid just buying the first bike I tried. So I headed off to Evans where they ordered in a bike for me to try. I had 3 test rides of about 45 mins each including a similar bike to the LBS demonstrator and bought one from the shop that wasn't the one they ordered in but when I tried it something just clicked. I guess it depends on the shop and what they have in stock, but I realised very quickly that I liked drop handlebars and had a really good experience at Evans in trying out different bikes for a reasonable ride to get the right one for me.....oh and it's a Cannondale by the way

Good luck with the search

Wendy

OP
OP
Bicykell

Bicykell

Cheers Wendy - I'd like to source my bike from a local bike shop (Carlisle) and the nearest Evans is in Kendal, which, compared to you in Angus and your nearest Evans, in Edinburgh, is local. I'm looking for something that goes "here I am, now what are you going to do?" Which for you was a Cannondale. They do look nice and come recommended by loads of people.

I am the same in looking for something that clicks. I bought my Fylde Custom Falstaff guitar from Roger Bucknall in Penrith (he makes them) after searching the whole of the UK for the right one. It was 18 miles away from where I live. I then looked at the price and had a dizzy turn, but have never regretted it. My session/stage keyboard is a Nord Stage2, bought because once I played it nothing else was quite the same. Those are tools of the trade, however, and earn their keep. A bike is for getting fit on and enjoying. I'll never earn a penny from riding a bike.

I'll torment a few more shops then. Thanks again.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Bicykell i dont think you are being unreasonable at all but then i dont run a bike shop .

However if you are close to me in Wellingborough you are welcome to come and have a try on any of the retro bikes i have for sale no pressure and see how you get on with a road bike from an older era

midlife

Guru
...... There's always "Mike the bike" at Palace cycles.

Has been known to loan bikes to my colleagues at work to try out. You just have to get used to the pained expression on his face as you negotiate a discount.

Shaun

OP
OP
Bicykell

Bicykell

You just have to get used to the pained expression on his face as you negotiate a discount.

Sounds like the man himself. He's highly thought of and I've tried to buy there, really I have.
However if you are close to me in Wellingborough you are welcome to come and have a try on any of the retro bikes i have for sale no pressure and see how you get on with a road bike from an older era

Wellingborough - will look you up next time I'm in the area.

Anywhere the other side of Shap is foreign though.

midlife

Guru
The last bike I bought from a shop was Arragons in Penrith..... Good price on a Ridgeback. The shop seems stuffed with Genesis at the moment.

I knew what I was buying though so didn't need to ask about trying it out though :sad:

Shaun

OP
OP
Bicykell

Bicykell

The shop seems stuffed with Genesis at the moment
True. None in 51/52 cm though, and I really like the Ltd version of the CdF20. I asked if they would be getting any smaller sizes in but they were a bit non committal - and I was about buying one. I'm at the skinny tyres v. comfort v. weight v. wanting to carry lumps of cameras and lenses. Versus Carbon, versus alloy, versus steel. And on and on.

AndyRM

XOXO
You anywhere near an Evans? They have plenty bikes which meet your criteria, though in alloy rather than steel.

vickster

Legendary Member
£60 refundable deposit and Evans will get in any bike you'd like to test ride, no obligation. I've had the odd test ride on Evans bikes, go early on a dry day and there's no set limit as to how long you can test ride for

They price match lots of retailers too, although their pricing is competitive generally

Mixed views on service but as ever varies by branch

Top Bottom