Trying bikes out.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
I have begun the journey to find a decent road bike.But being tall,i am at a loss to find what size frame. A poster on beginners has been asked for a £50 non returnable deposit to get a bike in to see.I made a journey 26 miles on the bike to look at a Trek.In the shop 54.56.58.No use to me.So i have sent an e-mail asking for a 64cm bike so i can look at the frame.I am waiting to see if i get asked for a deposit.How can we tall cyclists make a decision to spend hundreds of pounds without trying out.And it seems that a lot of shops do not show bigger than 58 in store.I wonder why.

oxbob

Try using this calculator Postman, it will give you a fairly accurate stating point for frame size http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

oxbob

You had too many Haribo Kirstie?, what are you measuring, compact's are usually from BB to TT

Bigtallfatbloke

It is outrageous how we normal size peeps are discriminated against by the small freak sized of society. It is all but impossible to find a larger framed bike in a LBS to try, it seems they deem us normal people unworthy and as such they wouldnt dirty their hands with our cash.
I spent the best part of a year trying to track down any road bike in a LBS that was available to try out (or even sit on) in a large frame size. Dealers will only allow you to test ride if you previously commit to buy. Whenever I walk into a LBS i am looked up and down my the gnomes and dismissed as a freak in their world.

Eventually I waited until I knew the Bianchi dealer would have the full range of the new 2009 bikes in store, then I went along and sat on a 61cm Bianchi 2009 via nirone alu carb. he wanted £999 and like all bike dealers would not budge a penny on price. He would not allow a test ride and tutted as i sat on it in the store. I left the store having confirmed that a 61cm Bianchi fitted me and th ereach was right for me. I bought the exact same bike (2007 version though which has celeste bar tape in stead of the 2008 white bar tape...big deal) on line in a sale for £750.

You know , I had the £999 in my pocket in the LBS jus titching to spend it...all the idiot had to do was drop the attitude and treat me like a normal person (a bit of help and service would have been nice as well)...but no...so he lost the business to an on line dealer who offer no service at all (same level as the LBS) but could get me a cheaper bike, and then LBS owners complain about losing business to on line bike sellers..sheesh...it's time they woke up and actually started offerring cyclists the service they claim to offer.

oxbob

To be fair most LBS don't have the spending power/space to stock every size. They will always be on a loser in that respect

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
He would not allow a test ride and tutted as i sat on it in the store.

I had exactly the same problem with a Bianchi dealer. Refused point blank to allow a test ride. What's their problem? At least I'm not an unusual size so at least got to sit on one and try it out for size.

Top Bottom