Tubular tyres - suggestions please ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My youngest is getting tubs to go with his new race bike. I've only ever used clinchers so have a question about which ones are best.

He'll be using different wheels on the road with these only for races.

Any thoughts please? Preferably ones which don't break the bank.

From my experiences Continental sprinters are long lasting and pretty good rolling but slightly heavy.
Vittorio's I find the valves are weak and blow when under pressure they are light and very good rolling.

Last edited:
Continental Competition, used them for nearly 10 yrs now and still not punctured, for us it is still the benchmark that all other tubs have to be measured against. Have a look at the Tufos though, very good value at Planet X, worth searching out reviews, not heard anything detrimental about them. Hope that helps.

Citius

ok - I was going to mention the 35mm limit. We considered something similar (I also have an U12), but have decided to stick with lightweight, lowpro clinchers.

I've experimented with quite a few different tubs and found the best for cornering and rolling speed is Schwalbe one's and Vittoria Corsa CX. The Schwalbe's more so in the wet. The best for puncture resistance has been Conti Competition. I also think 25mm tyres (24 in the Schwalbe) are better in every way compared to anything smaller. More air, more rubber on the tarmac and better feel. IMO.

Top Bottom