Turbo Trainer Training Tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

southcoastden

I ride a Boardman road bike regularly during the summer but like many, I'm not so keen during the winter months. Rather than store the bike away I have been considering purchasing a turbo trainer to use indoors. I notice some recommend fitting a training tyre to use but is this really necessary as if the weather is good I would still prefer to go out for a ride. Therefore, it would be impractical to have a training tyre fitted? Any ideas/suggestions on this please?

bpsmith

Veteran
You can use any tyre. Don't it expect it to last long though, and don't expect it to be in great condition either. Turbo specific tyres last longer and are quieter in use, but rubbish for using in the road. It's horses for courses basically.

I recently bought a nice red Vittoria Zaffiro Pro home trainer tyre but after a couple of goes on the turbo, the tyre is now silver down the middle - is that normal or should I be worried about the tyre or turbo (it`s a Elite Volare btw).

Attachments

• Turbo_tyre[1].jpg
    Turbo_tyre[1].jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 26
D

Deleted member 1258

In all the years I've used a turbo I've never used a turbo specific tyre, I've always used what ever tyre is on the bike, I've never had problems with the tyre being short lived.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I recently bought a nice red Vittoria Zaffiro Pro home trainer tyre but after a couple of goes on the turbo, the tyre is now silver down the middle - is that normal or should I be worried about the tyre or turbo (it`s a Elite Volare btw).
Normal. Don't worry.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Just use old tyres that are no longer suitable to use on the road. I've got a whole load of old tyres for turbo use that will see me out to the end of my days! :sad:

doug

Veteran
Never used a turbo specific tyre, just use an old slick tyre, seems to last ages. Don't use a tyre with any significant tread or pattern - these will be noisy

Top Bottom