Turbo Trainers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skipper

Can anyone recommend a good Turbo Trainer? My current one, Elite Mag from Halfords, is nearing it's shelf life, and will need replacing soon.
Budget around £150 - £200 (my hybrid is not too expensive, and I don't want a trainer that out-prices the bike!)
I don't do intervals, or spinning, but like to use it regularly when the weather is bleak outside. Just turning over, reasonable cadence, but I want the option of a good amount of resistance since I enjoying pushing the threshold most times.
I've read plenty of reviews now about them (Minoura B60R, Elite Nova, Taxc Satori etc, all come recommended) but it becomes confusing after a while.
Any pointers would be nice .........

BSRU

A Human Being
Cycleops Fluid Trainer, the resistance automatically adjusts by increasing/decreasing the speed of the back wheel.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Cyclops Jet Fluid Pro. Nice progressive resistance, smooth, robust and not too noisy. The only downside is I find getting the bike in and out is a bit fiddly. Agree with Jay about the tension adjusters (hi Jay!) - just use the gears.

BSRU

A Human Being
Cyclops Jet Fluid Pro. Nice progressive resistance, smooth, robust and not too noisy. The only downside is I find getting the bike in and out is a bit fiddly. Agree with Jay about the tension adjusters (hi Jay!) - just use the gears.
I have a spare bike, my steel tourer, "permanently" installed, it's the backup bad weather(not sunny and dry) commute bike.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I also have a Cycleops - slightly older version of this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycleops-fluid-2-trainer/

Several club mates have brands with a lever that clips onto the handlebars to adjust tension. It seems pointless to me, as once mine is set up I just use the gears as usual

Pointless to you but not to me. My dedicated bike is a single speed so the lever thing is essential :whistle:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Pointless to you but not to me. My dedicated bike is a single speed so the lever thing is essential :whistle:
I have a spare bike, my steel tourer, "permanently" installed, it's the backup bad weather(not sunny and dry) commute bike.

Let's ask! @Skipper, are you using the turbo with a geared bike, and will this bike be semi-permanently mounted on the turbo, or will it have to be swapped in and out a lot?

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Let's ask! @Skipper, are you using the turbo with a geared bike, and will this bike be semi-permanently mounted on the turbo, or will it have to be swapped in and out a lot?
Your reply is not worth getting into an argument so have it your way.

OP
OP
Skipper

Skipper

I only have one bike, so it will clip in and out as required. A work colleague also has the Cyclops, and swears by it (not literally). But I think I prefer the idea of having gears on the trainer as well as the bike.

BSRU

A Human Being
I only have one bike, so it will clip in and out as required. A work colleague also has the Cyclops, and swears by it (not literally). But I think I prefer the idea of having gears on the trainer as well as the bike.
If you go for the Jet Fluid it folds away flat when not in use and no assembly required.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I only have one bike, so it will clip in and out as required.
The access problem with my fluid pro is that the screw mount mechanism for the rear skewer doesn't open particularly wide and the resistance roller is enclosed by quite a chunky bit of mechanism housing. This means you have to angle the bike (at least my bike) just so to line up the skewer without the wheel blocking on the housing. It's easier to show than describe. I guess - and it is a guess - more open roller designs wouldn't have this problem. Just something to consider - like I said, it's otherwise proved to be excellent.

BSRU

A Human Being
The access problem with my fluid pro is that the screw mount mechanism for the rear skewer doesn't open particularly wide and the resistance roller is enclosed by quite a chunky bit of mechanism housing. This means you have to angle the bike (at least my bike) just so to line up the skewer without the wheel blocking on the housing. It's easier to show than describe. I guess - and it is a guess - more open roller designs wouldn't have this problem. Just something to consider - like I said, it's otherwise proved to be excellent.
I found the resistance roller can be released far enough to allow the bike to be inserted no problem.

Top Bottom