turbo trainers ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

luke's fleche

I am thinking of investing in a turbo trainer on a tight budget of about £100

does anyone have any ideas/advice

who thinks that rollers are better than turbo trainers

cheers
luke

Will1985

Über Member
I've not been able to use my rollers yet due to injury, but each system has its individual benefits.
If you choose a turbo, I would budget £20 for a turbo specific tyre as wear is greater than on the road and there is the heat/friction issue too. In terms of purchasing, eBay usually has some good 2nd hand deals. Otherwise look around the online stores and you'll find some decent prices.

For turbos you can choose between fan, magnet or fluid resistance systems - in that order the price increases while the noise generated decreases.

FWIW I have a Tacx Sirius turbo which is pretty quiet and not too harsh on regular tyres (but turbo specifics are better).

OP
OP
L

luke's fleche

thanks for that advice !

would you say that a training tire is a must have or could I cope with my normal road tires (they are not fully slick)

Blott's Mate

I bought a Tacxx Sirius for £101 from Wiggle 2 weeks ago. Took me a couple of goes to set it up properly. 1st go was the slowes time has passed in my entire life. 2nd time was better.

roadiewill

[quote name='luke's fleche']thanks for that advice !

would you say that a training tire is a must have or could I cope with my normal road tires (they are not fully slick)[/quote]

quite a lot of people recommend training tyres as the friction caused by the roller can wear the tyre down. I just use my old bike so Im not too worried about the tyre tbh

mr-marty-martin

i reckon people over edjagurate how much the tyres wear donw ( sorry for spelling lol)

ive used both and much prefure rollers, a lot more intresting

i bought a mag 500 turbo trainer second hand off e bay for 70 quid 100 pound rrp i use this onnce or twice a week depending on what shifts i'm on they are boring but i think they improve your legs and you know you have done a workout

Bellew

Im with Blotts Mate...
Tacxx Sirius, Brilliant. Its like marmite is a turbo trainer. Some people love riding on the Turbo and some hate it. Personally, i enjoy it. Especially good for the speed work i think.
If you do go for the tacxx too, there are literally hundreds of sessions that you can do on the Tacxx website. These go from hill climbing and sprinting through to endurance work. Really good sessions.

Top Bottom