Turbo Virgin...Harder Than Expected

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Got my Tacx Vortex Smart this afternoon. Quick setup and gave it a blast. Need to tweak to adjustment on the roller tension clamp, where it pushes roller onto tyre, but that's for when I have more time to fiddle.

Anyway, did a brief 20 min trial to make sure all working tidy, but didn't have a lot of time to give it a full on blast. Downloaded one of their workouts to trial. It was harder than first expected tbh, although have only done 25 miles on the road this month for one reason and another so could have been an element of that too.

The Tacx Smart models link to Garmin, iOS, etc, via simultaneous ANT+ and BlueTooth. The Satori version has a manual lever to control the difficulty, whilst the Vortex version has an electro magnet, so the iPad App was controlling that for me whilst simulating the climbs. You can download videos of the Pyrenees, etc. and simulate the hefty climbs if desired and the video moves at the pace of your cycling.

Rather hard, but I plan to get out to the garage regularly through the darker evenings, with the hope of hitting the road fitter next year than I did this year.

What are your experiences when first hitting the Turbo and any tips for strategic training?

G3CWI

Veteran
Expect buckets of sweat.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
Like anything it does get easier the more you do it...I tend to switch between intervals sessions and steep climbs.. increasing the intensity and gradients when it starts to get easier I find this works for me....get a huge fan.....to help keep you cool....I always end up in a puddle of sweat too

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Make sure you wipe down your bike afterwards - sweat is very corrosive! Make especially sure to wipe the underside of the bike where drops of sweat can gather unnoticed. I rotted a bike and turbo trainer in one winter because I only wiped the sweat that I could see!

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Cheers guys. I knew I had little time tonight, so stopped when I could feel the sweat starting to run on my forehead. Nothing on bike, but take note on wiping down thoroughly.

Got suitcases out in Summer for holiday and took very large fan to the dump as hadn't used in 2 years! Doh!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Like anything it does get easier the more you do it...I tend to switch between intervals sessions and steep climbs.. increasing the intensity and gradients when it starts to get easier I find this works for me....get a huge fan.....to help keep you cool....I always end up in a puddle of sweat too

Can you clarify, because by my definition, these amount to the same thing.

Maybe you should try increasing the duration....

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
To the OP, training on a turbo is no different to training on the road, the same principles apply.

As for suggestions on strategic training you will need to be specific as to your aims, current level of fitness, the type of training you have undertaken in the past etc.

sleaver

Veteran
Apart from sweating more than normal, I find that it hurts my arse. On the road I'm fine for hours, but after about 40 minutes on the turbo I feel like I can't sit down any longer :blink:

I assume it is because I move about less on the turbo compared to when outside

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That is part of riding a turbo trainer, when you push the duration out, you struggle more with the general discomfort than the effort.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
Can you clarify, because by my definition, these amount to the same thing.

Maybe you should try increasing the duration....
Actually thinking about it your right....i take the point about increased duration though

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I can't stand just riding, I have to do a training video. Just spinning away listening to music or watching a film and after 20mins I'm clock watching waiting for it to end as my nether regions become increasingly more numb.
If I do a sufferfest then the hour (or more) flies by.

Top Bottom