twisted sora derailiuer or set up wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2clepto

hiya everyone,

as some of you may know i purchased a 2nd hand merida ride lite a few weeks back. it had a few problems, seat stem seized, brake pads worn, and the gears shifted around and failed to change cleanly. ive been trying to get them to work smooth for a few weeks but the derailieur resists, or seems too, or im missing something u know.

anyway, ive bought three racers in the previous five weeks and checked the other two racers, one with 105 derailiuer and other has shimano 600 and have been compairing and the sora derailiuer may be twisted?,

20140822_171849.jpg 20140822_171906.jpg 20140822_171930.jpg 20140822_171946.jpg
or the things been dropped somehow, or ill upgrade? from the sora to a 105 derailiuer.

thought id ask you guys what you thought first.

at present the bike seems to change gears smoothly because i lined the derailieur up by eye, with its main fault being i cant peddle backwards without the chain becoming stuck.

also, is it possible to transfer a 7 speed shimao 600 or the older 8 speed 105 to the new merida? or is the better and easier option just ebaying a 9 speed 105 derailiuer? if so does anyone have any suggestions as to buying the correct model number?

if i knew the range of model numbers i could access i could assess easily if either of these two dura ace rear mechs on ebay are suitable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231310059295?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301254396341?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

thanks in advance. i can upload more pics if needed.

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Take it to a professional

OP
OP

2clepto

Take it to a professional

no ill figure it out eventually ) plus its a buzz trying to figure it out ) plus ive just purchased an ak38 to blast my evenings away. plus, and this is with cream on top, ive moved my bike stand into my spare living room and booted out the tv.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have that one, it works fine.

no ill figure it out eventually ) plus its a buzz trying to figure it out ) plus ive just purchased an ak38 to blast my evenings away. plus, and this is with cream on top, ive moved my bike stand into my spare living room and booted out the tv.
Is a spare living room a thing? This is the first time i've heard of it. In picture three the cage holding your jockey wheels looks slightly bent.

OP
OP

2clepto

Is a spare living room a thing? This is the first time i've heard of it. In picture three the cage holding your jockey wheels looks slightly bent.

its meant to be a dining room but i have no table )

thanks for the advice. when i look at it too i think its bent, but do you think it could be a symptom of a possible bent hanger? im checking on and off all evening. im ready for a manual bend tomorrow morning at breakfast, when the lights bright, with my cornflakes and whisky ))

one question, if i were to purchase a new hanger do they slot behind the bolt onto the frame quick as a flash or do i need to align it somehow?

im also still looking for the right model number regarding a 105 replacement for a 9 speed cassette. would it be just as easy to get a ten speed cassette and a ten speed 105 rear mech and avoid the 9 speed because there seems to be alot of 10 speeds for sale?

or maybe this campagnolo and dont go the shimano route?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campagnol...05&prg=10621&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=321471710981&rt=nc

MikeW-71

Veteran
Hangers are easy to replace, couple of screws, no alignment necessary. They are meant to bend/break before the derailleur or the frame does.

If you fit a 10 speed cassette and mech, you'll need to replace your shifters too. Keep it simple: if the current mech is twisted, replace it with a 9 speed Sora mech.

I think you'd be able to put a 10 speed 105 mech on there with the 9 speed cassette, I'm not 100% sure on that..

OP
OP

2clepto

cheers. nice one mike. i didnt know about the shifters changing too. ill go and get a new hanger. many thanks.

OP
OP

2clepto

does anyone know if the stock hanger from halfords is a cheap option,

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cyc...fters/halfords-replacement-gear-hanger-a#tab3

or am i too hopeful )

im just trying to search for a hanger online, but it seems the best way is too take the hanger off and match it down the lbs. just foned them and they say £19.99 "bring it down, well try and match it."

was searching here, which provides a multitude of hanger options and some first rate advice,

http://gearmechhanger.com/epages/95...ion=FacetedSearchProducts&SearchString=merida

but i havent removed the hanger from my merida yet. still going to have a go a straightening it myself. but after reading a bit overnight, that seems a pointless route which only leaves the hanger twisted twice, maybe ok to get a rider home, but my gears are close to working as they are, cant peddle backwards, or reach the smallest cog, not that i use the smallest cog much yet, but you know.

Top Bottom