Tyre advice - 26" mixed surface tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I've decided to use my MTB as my commuter and am wanting to change the tyres to some mixed surface, faster rolling tyres.

I've still got the 26x2.2 giant tyres that were supplied with the bike. I've been looking at other posts and the Schwalbe city jet come recommended but they look more on the slick side.

The Schwalbe marathon plus look to have a bit more tread and are available in a 26 x 1.75 at around £25 on fleabay, but are they any good. Any other suggestions? My budget is up to £30 pair

Thanks, kev

They are good for fairy resistance... but they are heavy and slower IME...

what are your mixed surfaces? tarmac, gravel, mud, small hardcore, sandy?
and how much fairy resistance do you need?

Mrs M

Guru
I've decided to use my MTB as my commuter and am wanting to change the tyres to some mixed surface, faster rolling tyres.

I've still got the 26x2.2 giant tyres that were supplied with the bike. I've been looking at other posts and the Schwalbe city jet come recommended but they look more on the slick side.

The Schwalbe marathon plus look to have a bit more tread and are available in a 26 x 1.75 at around £25 on fleabay, but are they any good. Any other suggestions? My budget is up to £30 pair

Thanks, kev

I had Schwalbe marathon plus on my old mountain bike, to make it go faster, didn't work.
They are tough, very puncture resistant tyres and have a reflective strip around them, good for commuting I'd have thought.
These tyres were removed when I traded in mountain bike towards current road bike. They have been in my shed for 3 years and you are welcome to have them free if they would still be usable?? not sure about that?
They are size 26 x 1.75.

clid61

Veteran
City Jets all day long pal . Got them on my MTB for last 3 years . no punctures, roll brill and sick to road like shoot on a blanke t !!!

nhanlm0601

+1 for Land Cruiser (not Road cruiser).
The continuous tread really makes a difference. Problem with Road cruiser is when I go uphill (18-20%grade) on gravel, I am guaranteed rear wheel zero%-traction.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Kenda Small Block 8 - Brilliant on hard pack, gravel and the like. Not bad on tarmac either. They can be slippy on mud though, so may be better as a summer tyre,

Stantheman

I have gone from the stock giant tyres to marathon plus and find them excellent. Worth every penny imho.

OP
OP
Kevoffthetee

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Am still undecided on which tyres to go with. I'm going off road for the first time in a while tomorrow and it's been raining......muddy

I might have to just use off road tyres for the commute so I can make the most of the winter weather

Top Bottom