Tyre and Tubes Question(s)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jhawk

Veteran
Hi all,

I recently purchased a Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyre for my bike, and three tubes - all from Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK, very impressed with them. Finding the same tyre locally would've cost me $70 (CAD) - got it from CRC for half that (including shipping).

Now, onto the technicalities.

The tyre has a slight bend in the rim wire - it hasn't snapped. It's just bent - should I be able to just bend it back? (Whether that happened in transportation home or while it was being shipped, I've no idea).

The tubes, however - when I purchased them from Chain Reaction - I went for 50mm valve, Presta, and selected the 28-47c option - as the Marathon Plus tyre is 700 x 35c. Have I made an error here?

All help is appreciated!

Jack.

Tim Hall

The tubes sound fine, assuming your rim is drilled for presta rather than schraeder valves.

I've used a tyre with a bent bead before. I think I just bunged it on and let the inner tube pressure straighten it out.

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
Wondering whether this recent picture would help. Again, the tube isn't fully inflated...

11328918_10152943828537914_1011481999_n.jpg

Cyclist33

In my experience tubes often hang down like that, if you think about it there has to be head for it to expand in all directions when you inflate it.

Have you actually tried assembling the tire / tube combo in full yet?

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
In my experience tubes often hang down like that, if you think about it there has to be head for it to expand in all directions when you inflate it.

Have you actually tried assembling the tire / tube combo in full yet?

I haven't. no. I'm confused - because according to what I selected from the site, they should fit...

Cyclist33

I haven't. no. I'm confused - because according to what I selected from the site, they should fit...

Try it!

Tim Hall

It's a little unclear what your picture shows. Is that just the tube placed around the rim? If so, don't worry, it'll all go together fine.

(Edited for spolling erraz)

Last edited:
Top Bottom