tyre not sitting concentric on rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
hard to describe -- so pics
there is a 'rib' above the bead
wfs-23-04-2014-11-34-08-100_2551_zpsb6bd15ee.jpg

- in one 8'' section it is below the rim edge......................so a depressed section happens
wfs-23-04-2014-11-34-21-100_2562_zps6129b4bd.jpg
i have
remounted the tyre
remounted with soapy water on the rim
new inner tubes
inflated to 20psi then 'rolled' the tyre left and right [across the rim] to encourage the bead to settle

nothing works
Continental ULTRA Sport 700 x 35c
rims stamped RIGIDA 28 x 1.5/8 x 1.1/8 - 700c
any ideas please......canna feel it on the road - but really niggles me............:sad:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I can't help you as you seem to have tried everything I could suggest but I had a similar problem with some fat, slick Continental MTB tyres I use. The issue appears to be that the tyre carcass is constructed to fit a lower profile rim braking area so it cannot sit quite right when mounted on our rims?

By the way, that is some serious, hardcore, old-skool, steel rim there, what is the wet braking like.................................?

400bhp

Guru
Try swapping the front and rear tyres. If the replacement tyre sits properly then it's the tyre, not your fitting skills that's the issue.

I had a miliar issue fitting a tyre to one of the wheels on my daughter's bike. I must have had half a dozen goes before it sat right. Now the tyres hadn't been used for a while so I wonder if they had become slightly deformed?

OP
OP
J

John the Canuck

[QUOTE="I like Skol, post: 3042408, member: 13241"....................... The issue appears to be that the tyre carcass is constructed to fit a lower profile rim braking area so it cannot sit quite right when mounted on our rims?
By the way, that is some serious, hardcore, old-skool, steel rim there, what is the wet braking like...................?[/QUOTE]

I plan to buy some gum-wall [right word.?] tyres at the weekend - and like the Michelin Dynamic Classic - listed at tredz
an economy model, but i don't plan high mileage in 2014
maybe a different make and size [ordered 700 x 25c ] will sit better.?

BTW .. the rear has the same prob - to a lesser degree - so it's not me
i wonder if the bike sat for ages on the same spot before being sold - as 400bhp suggests

what is the wet braking like.........
biggs gave me a set of Kool-Stop Continentals blocks which he uses all year..:thumbsup:
but so far the bike is a ''fair weather' ride......

john

OP
OP
J

John the Canuck

................ Now the tyres hadn't been used for a while so I wonder if they had become slightly deformed?

thanks

the rear has the same prob - to a lesser degree

and you could be correct about storage......
the Bike Shop did say they had bought 2 bikes from the same old chap - a 'his' and 'hers'
they were well looked after judging by the condition, new lube etc and i wonder if the owner had kept them for some time unused before reluctantly selling

john

ps -- i'll post the result of fitting the Michelins

D

Deleted member 1258

I've had fun with this, one tyre I scrapped as I couldn't make it sit right, the other I managed to do it but it took over an hour to do, lots of washing up liquid, low tyre pressure and manipulating the tyre both by hand and by easing a tyre lever under the tyre and moving it around and several times pumping up the tyre as far above recommended pressure as I dare, eventually I pumped it over recommended pressure and it popped out, the tyres were 700c x 23 Bontrager Race Lit Hard cases, I've never had this problem on the 25's or 28's.

OP
OP
J

John the Canuck

thanks Dave ... as you say maybe wont get this prob on the new 25s

i did manual pump to about 20psi and 'manipulated' as you did
then shot a 16g CO2 cap into it
nigh wet myself when the tyre pressure gauge went off the dial
didn't work though......

hate to 'bin' 2 x new continentals though..................:cursing:

D

Deleted member 1258

thanks Dave ... as you say maybe wont get this prob on the new 25s

i did manual pump to about 20psi and 'manipulated' as you did
then shot a 16g CO2 cap into it
nigh wet myself when the tyre pressure gauge went off the dial
didn't work though......

hate to 'bin' 2 x new continentals though..................:cursing:

There's another thread on the subject here

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lumpy-uneven-tyre-after-tube-change.150868/

I think this is something that can happen to any tyre.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You used soapy water to fit a tyre on a steel rim?

Dry it off and use talc, it's the best dry lubricant around for sticky rubber. Sprinkle it liberally around then fit the tyre and pump up to 10 lbs then push it onto the "hook" of the rim with your fingers, then carry on pumping.

Brommyboy

Über Member
Try using high pressure: most tyres will only be damaged at near to double the maximum, so you can go fairly high to stretch the tyre that little bit extra to fit the rim.

OP
OP
J

John the Canuck

I'll bet those old steel rims don't have a hook, and that's the problem. They weren't really designed for modern high pressure tyres.

dismounted both tyres -- you're correct - no hook - vertical wall

cleaned - installed - ran a thin layer of pure washup liquid [ no talc available.] onto rim wall using a tyre lever

up to 90psi . satisfying 'pop' as the tyre seated -- tyre runs true.

thanks for all the advice........john

Top Bottom