Tyre Pressure + Body Weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All,

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. I have a hybrid bike, I recently pumped the tyres to around 65 psi. Previously the front averaged around 55 and the back 58. I went for a ride and found it so much easier, I was really moving. THEN, came the short 20m cobbled down hill section, I went really slow, brakes on probably 1 or 2 mph down this short hill. The front wheel stopped on a cobble and I went head over arse!.

Was I going too slow, or were the tyres over inflated, if they were softer the front may have eased over the cobble.

Also, I weigh 18 and a half stone, does this add extra stress to an already over inflated tyre?

Cheers
Jack

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
If your tyres were softer on cobbles with your weight I'd say you've got an increase chance of pinch punctures from the various jagged edges.

I'd say you were going too slow- you need to keep the speed up in order to skip across the top of the cobbles- rather than up and down every groove.
Your weight will be fine so long as you stay within the confines of the tyres recommended max pressure.

OP
OP
J

Jack Hammer

Just to add, the reason I'm worried about weight and tyre pressure, I saw a photo onine of a wheel rim cracked on the inside from an over inflated tyre.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Best thing you can do with minor downhill obstacles like cobbles is to try to forget they are there, hit them at speed, weight back a tiny bit and most of all stay loose on the bike - don't grip really hard. The bike will find its own way though.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There will be a quoted Max (and Min) pressure on the tyre sidewall, I stick to the Max rated pressure.
(apart from my Continental Grand Prix Supersonic tyres which are rated to 170psi :eek: I only get to 160 on them. :whistle:)

drummerbod

I might be wrong but 65PSI on a 26x1.95 is as high as it should go. Check the sidewall of the tyre.

As others have said - sounds like you were going too slow and you need to get your balance right. Small obstacles quite often need you to get your bum off the seat slightly and shift your weight back a tad.

Top Bottom