UCI Road World Championships Sept. 19-27 **spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dragon72

Guru
It's ironic, in an Alanis Morisette way, that one of the official partners of Richmond 2015 is Altria (the tobacco giant formerly known as Philip Morris). Not the sort of oily rags you'd expect at a bicycling competition.

U

User169

It's ironic, in an Alanis Morisette way, that one of the official partners of Richmond 2015 is Altria (the tobacco giant formerly known as Philip Morris). Not the sort of oily rags you'd expect at a bicycling competition.

Yeah, it's not like the inventors of EPO ever sponsored a bike race! ^_^

lyn1

Über Member
Kennaugh is not riding. Given they picked a team that could support Swift or Cav., Blythe is the logical replacement.

The Couch

Über Member
In the preparation of the team WC Time Trial, the EQS car runs into some trouble ...and Rigoberto has a cam on him:
https://twitter.com/UranRigoberto?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Kennaugh is not riding. Given they picked a team that could support Swift or Cav., Blythe is the logical replacement.
I can't remember where I read it (and naff all on the BC website and tweets, as usual), but it's rumoured to be a Stannard-Rowe-Swift triple-leadership. An Italian problem?

oldroadman

Veteran
Cav injured, not likely to ride. G knackered - classics and two GTs (including ridiculously hard Vuelta) - needs a break and will not ride. Commenters who have any experience of racing (or being involved in any way) at this level would confirm that breaks are essential. The parcours does not suit Cav, it will be one for the puncheurs with a difficult rising finish. Possibly suited to a Swift if he can be delivered correctly. I don't hold out much hope for a GB result this time. EBH looks good, is in form, and the ToB is seen as far better preparation for the worlds. If he can hold his form he will be well in the mix in the final. Kristoff maybe, but in the end the whole thing is a lottery, with far more than just national tactics in play. Who rides with who - and who doesn't - is always interesting. next season's team line ups can be a clue. Then we have the usual suspects where 9 riders have 3 people who think they should be the leader (cue Italia!). When Cav won it was because GB were solidly behind him, with the women it looked very different, a team plus one individual who rode individually (while protesting they didn't, but visual evidence contradicted that) and was little or no help in delivering Lizzie in the right place for a win. That should be different this time.
What happens in the U-23 might be a pointer to the future as well.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
God, I hope it's not another dull sprinters' Worlds. In Melbourne, the only excitement in the road races came from wondering whether Gilbert had been caught, yet.

The Couch

Über Member
I can't remember where I read it (and naff all on the BC website and tweets, as usual), but it's rumoured to be a Stannard-Rowe-Swift triple-leadership. A Belgian problem?
FTFY

The Belgian team... like last year... can't decide what rider will be the leader. So basically GVA, Gilbert and Boonen are all leaders, while Vanmarke has a free role.
I could still find myself in a leadership share between GVA and Gilbert (although GVA should be leader no. 1, with the results this year), but I can't understand how Boonen still deserves a leader role.
I guess having a very impressive palmares is good enough to cover for the fact that you haven't really shown much in the past 2 full years (especially in the important races against big name riders in form). At most he deserves a role like Vanmarke, something like when escapes (in the middle of the race) go, try to get into a good one and see where you end up. EQS (so Boonen) actually even has 3 other riders in the selection as well (Vandenbergh, Keisse and Maes), while BMC has none. Lotto SOudal only has 1 helper (Benoot), but not potential super-helpers (Debusschere and Roelants) and we don't even have what is potentially the best suited "free role" rider in Belgian (Bakelants) in the selection.... Weird

Top Bottom