UCI Track Worlds thread (with SPOILERS)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
First day of the latest round of the UCI track worlds, and the first outing for the London Olympic velodrome, which looks pretty damn fast, I have to say. Just the pursuit qualifying yesterday, with GB second in both, to the Canadians in the women's and the Australians in the men's. Apparently the biggest problem for the British was the amazing noise made by the crowd which made communication between the team impossible.

philk56

Guru
We were there last night and it was a great atmosphere, especially when the GB teams were riding. It's a very impressive place. Would like to have manged to get tickets for one of the other sessions. Also, I know it was only a qualifying round but considering how much demand there has been for tickets it was a shame to see so many empty seats in what was presumably the corporate section on the starting line.

For anyone going to other sessions, be prepared to either leave before the end or endure a long queue to get out - took us nearly an hour. You have to wait to get on the shuttle buses taking you back to the park gates. Also £4.20 for a small (330ml) bottle of beer!

Noodley

Excellent ride by Varnish and Pendleton to kick off tonight's live coverage on BBC.

And I spotted a KINGCUTTER V-Sprint T-shirt in the crowd when Varnish was celebrating...

Noodley

Another brilliant ride by GB Women's Team Pursuit, and another World Record!

Looks like London is a fast track.

Noodley

Probably, but looks like both GB and Aussies are warming up nicely for Olympics.

Great first lap by Ross Edgar as well, Kenny and Hoy looked fairly comfortable on taking it over - although I thought Edgar opened up a bit of a gap on Kenny, which also happened at the last Revolution event a few weeks ago before Kenny closed it - not as fluid as it could be! Says he who cannae ride. :laugh:

Noodley

Great first lap by Ross Edgar as well...although I thought Edgar opened up a bit of a gap on Kenny

It appears Hugh Porter, Chris Boardman and the bloke who looks like he should be presenting Blue Peter disagree with me, and think GB needs someone faster on the first lap...maybe the gap opened as Kenny had to keep himself in check and lost a bit?

Paul_L

Über Member
Probably, but looks like both GB and Aussies are warming up nicely for Olympics.

Great first lap by Ross Edgar as well, Kenny and Hoy looked fairly comfortable on taking it over - although I thought Edgar opened up a bit of a gap on Kenny, which also happened at the last Revolution event a few weeks ago before Kenny closed it - not as fluid as it could be! Says he who cannae ride. :laugh:

wasn't that with Crampton on leg 1? but yeah, same applies. Mind you Varnish pulled a bit of a gap on Pendleton last night as well to be begin with and it didn't do them much harm.

I'm off tomorrow. Would love to see a new WR in the men's pursuit but i suspect 3m53 is a bit out of bounds at the moment.

Paul_L

Über Member
We were there last night and it was a great atmosphere, especially when the GB teams were riding. It's a very impressive place. Would like to have manged to get tickets for one of the other sessions. Also, I know it was only a qualifying round but considering how much demand there has been for tickets it was a shame to see so many empty seats in what was presumably the corporate section on the starting line.

For anyone going to other sessions, be prepared to either leave before the end or endure a long queue to get out - took us nearly an hour. You have to wait to get on the shuttle buses taking you back to the park gates. Also £4.20 for a small (330ml) bottle of beer!

cheers for the heads up phil. I'm going tomorrow. How long did it take to get from stratford to the venue if you don't mind me asking?

philk56

Guru
cheers for the heads up phil. I'm going tomorrow. How long did it take to get from stratford to the venue if you don't mind me asking?
Getting in was fairly smooth. Long queue to get through the security but it kept moving, and you then get the shuttle bus. Probably about 40 minutes from reaching the queue to getting into the velodrome.

Should be a great day - enjoy!

Slaav

Veteran
Getting in was fairly smooth. Long queue to get through the security but it kept moving, and you then get the shuttle bus. Probably about 40 minutes from reaching the queue to getting into the velodrome.

Should be a great day - enjoy!

Would you mind expanding a little more on getting in and out please? May have a ticket fro tomorrow with a mate and also will be there in the summer.

Can you not simply get off at Stratford and walk through to the Velodrome? Or walk from the Westfield etc? And I am guessing taht Puclic Transport is the only realistic option? River Bus?

Not meant to hijack thread re UCI....

Top Bottom