Uh.... Just Window Shopping.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
So.... Ive been looking at road bikes for about a week or so since i made my thread about converting my hybrid into a dropbar - I mentally priced it all up and in the end it turned out to be a complete waste of time as there were too many factors of the conversion that required a lot of money to be thrown at it (a complete utter overhaul - everything had to go)

Been looking at halfords, Evanscycles, CycleSurgery - Pretty much some of the main brick and mortar bike retailers here in the UK but one site I never thought of checking out was Decathlon and it wasnt till today that i was reminded of the well known Triban product line and decided to have a look and instantly became somewhat frustrated because for the same price i paid for my bike after all the bells and whistles got put on. I could of had myself a Triban 520 or 540.

The Triban 540 in particular is just so amazing value for money

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-road-bike-105-id_8331275.html#

Carbon Fork, 105 groupset, SHIMANO Tiagra cassette, Mavic aksium wheels....

This bike is the full shabang. The only thing that potentially needs changing are the tyres...

Ive poked a few mates to see if any of them wants my Hybrid but the 540 looks like its going to be my next buy. apart from fitting a rack for panniers and some Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres there is nothing else on this bike that needs touching.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crandoggler

Have you looked at Planet X at all? Same deal, more for your money again.

Neilsmith

Triban is fantastic spec for the money very similar to my Cube Peleton Race same 105 group set same wheels a few tiny differences on the crank and cassette mine is 11-32 the Mavics wheels are superb at that price point which is what swung the Cube for me my Cube was only slightly higher price. Looks a good bike

outlash

also available in orange
Nothing, if it has the requisite mounts, but if you're going to put touring tyres like Marathons and a rack/panniers on a bike, why not buy a bike that best matches what you're planning to do with it?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
At this time of the year it is worth calling into a few bike shops. A lot of them are trying to get rid of 2015 stock to get the 2016 models in. There are some real bargains out there and you get to see the bikes in the flesh.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
That's not the bit that's wrong.

having a hybrid is wrong?

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Nothing, if it has the requisite mounts, but if you're going to put touring tyres like Marathons and a rack/panniers on a bike, why not buy a bike that best matches what you're planning to do with it?

Cuz 99% of the time its going to be used as a commuter and I dont like to ride with a rucksack on my back. at the same time, a bike like this would be a reason to push harder when it comes to cycling.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Triban is fantastic spec for the money very similar to my Cube Peleton Race same 105 group set same wheels a few tiny differences on the crank and cassette mine is 11-32 the Mavics wheels are superb at that price point which is what swung the Cube for me my Cube was only slightly higher price. Looks a good bike

Got the model of this Cube? Decathlon dont actually have any 540s in my framesize at the moment. Im not in a rush but it would be nice to know of an alternative just in case they dont get anymore in.

outlash

also available in orange
Cuz 99% of the time its going to be used as a commuter and I dont like to ride with a rucksack on my back. at the same time, a bike like this would be a reason to push harder when it comes to cycling.

So you can't push harder on any other type of bike? The bike isn't the thing that pushes you harder, it's you.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
So you can't push harder on any other type of bike? The bike isn't the thing that pushes you harder, it's you.

Not sure if serious. But there can come a point where the type of bike you ride can start holding you back from reaching your goals. I dont want to be a racer but at the same time i want to be pushing my speed a little on commutes. I dont see Tour De France being done on a mishmash of hybrids, fixies, MTBs and Cyclo-Crosses.

Or are you just telling me how to spend my money?

Top Bottom