UK Police – Dereliction of Duty

Are you getting fair treatment from the Police when making complaints about unsafe driver behaviour?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
TheVexatiousLitigant

TheVexatiousLitigant

Über Member
Here's some numbers for you, West Midlands Police 2010, strength 8200 Police Officers. Projected strength by 2020...5000 Police Officers.
About 3000 calls to service a day to deal with.
There is so few RPU left it's laughable, the TPO (traffic process office) makes the decisions on accident books and is utterly swamped.
Some days there's no one to got to 999 calls, the odds of anyone looking at this are about nil.
Not saying it's right but that's the way it is.
Well it is not 2020 yet, and the Police had time to interview me for an hour, a few officers had time to view the video, the decision was made to give the driver a section 171. A Police Officer then had time to drive to the offenders home, and play the video to the driver (who is also a motorcyclist) and his wife. The driver explained that he sounded his horn so the cyclist would get out of his way (into the door zone that cyclist and motorcyclist are told to avoid). The Officer accepted this as acceptable behaviour and decided not to give the driver the planned section 171. All the time needed had already been found and taken. Simple, the Police do still have plenty of time, they are just extremely bad at their job IMO

Just a by-the-way tuppennyworth. The cuts in police budgets and manpower have been in the news for how long? Not the only public service to get shafted, by any means.

It just seems a little ... "ungracious", to blame the police for the effects of the cuts.

OP
OP
TheVexatiousLitigant

TheVexatiousLitigant

Über Member
Just a by-the-way tuppennyworth. The cuts in police budgets and manpower have been in the news for how long? Not the only public service to get shafted, by any means.

It just seems a little ... "ungracious", to blame the police for the effects of the cuts.
I am not blaming the Police because of the cuts, the cuts did not effect the ability to investigate, they did investigate, they just decided after all the time invested not to give the planned section 171 because the driver warned me to get out of his way!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheVexatiousLitigant

TheVexatiousLitigant

Über Member
I was told it meant that if he drove to a standard this bad or worse within the next twelve months the car he did it in (does not have to be his car) would be taken, and if anyone else drives the car that passed me dangerously the car would be taken.
Hmmm - doesn't ring any bells ........except as a Section 59 warning (under the Police Reform Act 2002 [?])?

I'm not being a pain - honest! The only reason I'm pushing you is that I'd like to know all these little hidden bits, and store them for appropriate use! :evil:

OP
OP
TheVexatiousLitigant

TheVexatiousLitigant

Über Member
Hmmm - doesn't ring any bells ........except as a Section 59 warning (under the Police Reform Act 2002 [?])?

I'm not being a pain - honest! The only reason I'm pushing you is that I'd like to know all these little hidden bits, and store them for appropriate use! :evil:
It kind of rang a bell with me, not that I knew the number, but I have heard this result before from other camera cyclists.
By the way, are you the camera cyclist on YouTube with a similar name to the one you have here?

OP
OP
TheVexatiousLitigant

TheVexatiousLitigant

Über Member
Shhh - yes.
definitely a 171 I called the Police from my car with the dash cam running, I have just listened to the recording and confirmed that is what the Officer said.

Someone is getting confused, the s171 is to establish the owner/driver at the time. The S59 is the offence. The crux of this is that you didn't get the outcome you wanted thus the police are bad.
My mistake S172 is to identify driver/owner s171 is the requirement to produce documents such as when a motorist is issued a HORT1.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheVexatiousLitigant

TheVexatiousLitigant

Über Member
Someone is getting confused, the s171 is to establish the owner/driver at the time. The S59 is the offence. The crux of this is that you didn't get the outcome you wanted thus the police are bad.
My mistake S172 is to identify driver/owner s171 is the requirement to produce documents such as when a motorist is issued a HORT1.
It appears you are simply unhappy because the Police are being criticized, I think the Police are bad at there job because they told me the pass was so bad that the driver would be charged, but failed to charge. I also think the Police are bad at there job because my previous two complaints that were recognised as even worse by the Police were somehow separately "lost" until just after the two weeks were up in which they were able to press charges. Please try not to prejudge people, you always look like a fool, but then you prejudge and are wrong you look like an absolute .....

Yes they can. There have been a number of criminal convictions in England and Scotland using camera evidence from cyclists, including a case involving Martin Porter QC.
Where they based on the events that would need calibration (eg distance and speed) or where the captured events that could not be disputed such as what the driver said or whether or not they indicated/changed lanes/left or right hooked etc?

OP
OP
TheVexatiousLitigant

TheVexatiousLitigant

Über Member
Where they based on the events that would need calibration (eg distance and speed) or where the captured events that could not be disputed such as what the driver said or whether or not they indicated/changed lanes/left or right hooked etc?
The need for calibration is only in your mind. The Police have never told me my cameras need calibration. Have they told you anything of the kind? If they have, who was it and were, Station, badge numbers will do. Cheers!

OP
OP
TheVexatiousLitigant

TheVexatiousLitigant

Über Member
Mod note: time to stop bickering, please. This is a serious part of the forum, not the place for arguments like this.
Please feel free to delete at will, this is way off topic

Mod note: as TVL has deleted his own posts I've deleted the rest of the argument, as the remaining posts made even less sense than they did before!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom