UK Police – Dereliction of Duty

Are you getting fair treatment from the Police when making complaints about unsafe driver behaviour?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
TheVexatiousLitigant

TheVexatiousLitigant

Über Member
Charge him with what? It was a close pass - but that's not an offence.
“Driving without due care and attention”
The requirement is that the driver is shown to have driven below the standard of a careful and considerate driver, one example is "

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheVexatiousLitigant

TheVexatiousLitigant

Über Member
I know the CPS guidance (very well in fact). But a close overtake in itself does not necessarily constitute driving without due care and attention.

haha that's one hell of a Butt-hurt driver :hyper:

"Prosecutor Michael Butt told the court: "This was a deliberate act by a driver who either wished to scare the living daylights out of the cyclist or perhaps, even worse, run them off the road."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/motorist-jailed-after-driving-wrong-7257364

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheVexatiousLitigant

TheVexatiousLitigant

Über Member
I know the CPS guidance (very well in fact). But a close overtake in itself does not necessarily constitute driving without due care and attention.
True, the Driver does have the chance to avoid charges if his reasoning for the careless act is valid, and not in itself another act demonstrating they are driving below what is expected of a "Careful and considerate driver" Careless Driving charges are surprisingly easy to enforce given the amount of drivers that seem to think a steel cage will protect them from anything

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheVexatiousLitigant

TheVexatiousLitigant

Über Member
The linked report says the driver's siblings died almost a decade ago, which means it's unlikely they could offer a substantive alibi.
This fits perfectly with the stereotype of drivers that deliberately drive very close to vulnerable road users, I only hope the Judge has passed on to his colleagues the enormity of his error of judgement in not locking him up when he had the chance. 100% better = so back to the person he was without an addiction, just another lowlife that needs locking away.

Top Bottom