Ultegra Cassette worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I have a Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105 which has almost exclusively Shimano 105 groupset (changed the standard FSA Gossamer cranks to 105) with the exception of my chain (KMC X10), rear cassette (Tiagra 4600 12-28) and the brake calipers (Tektro R539).

Am looking at the Ultegra 11-28 cassette as its a relatively cheap upgrade (£44) or perhaps ultegra brake calipers (same price).

Just wondering a few things -

* I'm presuming the cassette is a better upgrade than the brake calipers, if I had to chose between them?

* Am I right in thinking the 11 vs 12 tooth will give me a little more downhill drive, without losing anything going uphills?

* Do I need to check anything with my bike regarding compatibility? The chainrings are 50-34 Shimano 105 5700's.

* Am I going to notice anything particularly improved with the upgrade? Is it worth it?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
No it's not worth it IMO.
I replaced an Ultegra cassette with a 105 and notice no difference. The caliper difference may have a slight impact but big gains can be had with decent blocks like Koolstop Salmons as a first move.
Wheels, tyres and lighter tubes make the biggest gains, save-up and invest here first. Michelin Pro-race 4 are only £27 at Wiggle at the mo.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
No it's not worth it IMO.
I replaced an Ultegra cassette with a 105 and notice no difference. The caliper difference may have a slight impact but big gains can be had with decent blocks like Koolstop Salmons as a first move.
Wheels, tyres and lighter tubes make the biggest gains, save-up and invest here first. Michelin Pro-race 4 are only £27 at Wiggle at the mo.

Koolstops already fitted!

You think there are big gains from Schwalbe Lugano to those Michelin Pro 4's?

Wheels are Shimano RS10's FYI.

Not much of a clue when it comes to wheels and tyres.

Also, I would be upgrading from Tiagra cassette, not a 105 cassette. Not sure if there is any real significant difference between those two either!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Shwalbe Luganos are a basic training tyre, Pro 4 is a lightweight race tyre weighing over 100 grams less EACH. As this is rotating weight it will feel even lighter. Also it's very supple and gives a very plush ride and grips like sh1t to a blanket. The downside is that they'll not last as long and may p*ncture slightly more, BUT, they'll put a grin on your face. Absolutely worth it.
Wheels are fine for starters, an upgrade will be a few hundred quid. Try tyres and tubes first.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Go to 105 if you want to upgrade but i wouldn't bother going up to Ultegra. i've got ultegra, and i had 105 on my last bike. the only difference i notice is the upgraded cost of replacing parts when i have a service. you're better off upgrading wheels if you want to go faster and have spare cash.
at the end of the day, once the chain is sitting on the cog... it does the same job. 105 might give you a slightly smoother change over than Tiagra but you wouldn't notice the difference between 105 and ultegra so i wouldn't bother going higher than 105, particularly as the rest of your groupset is 105. if the rest of your groupset was ultegra and you had a tiagra casette, i would say upgrade, but in your case, i would say don't bother with more than 105 and i'm not sure you'll even notice a difference doing that.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Looks like I'll grab 2 of those tyres then. Thanks for the responses, seem to all be in agreement.

EDIT: 1 last thing unanswered - * Am I right in thinking the 11 vs 12 tooth will give me a little more downhill drive, without losing anything going uphills?

One last thing, I have noticed when I change gears at the front chainring from small to big, I have to 'hold' the shifter for a few seconds for it to change, whereas to change down chainring I can just flick the shifter. Is this as intended? Reason I ask is maybe 1 out of 5 times the chain slips back to small and I have to hold it again to upshift again.

RWright

Guru
I notice a big difference on 105 vs Ultegra on the front chain ring(by this I mean the ease of shifting). It is not a fair comparison because my Ultegra is 6700 and 105 is not current generation. Getting a front derailleur dialed in can be a little time consuming sometimes.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I notice a big difference on 105 vs Ultegra on the front chain ring. It is not a fair comparison because my Ultegra is 6700 and 105 is not current generation. Getting a front derailleur dialed in can be a little time consuming sometimes.

You think I need to look at the derailleur? Haven't touched it since I got the bike.

RWright

Guru
You think I need to look at the derailleur? Haven't touched it since I got the bike.
It might not be a bad idea to check out a few youtube videos and maybe read at the park tool site. Then just look at yours and see what you think. I am sure you can adjust it but it is one of the slightly more difficult bike tuning task.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
The height and angle adjuster is covered in an app I have and they mention checking alignment of gear line and cage line, but the pic isn't overly helpful on this one element.

When your changing to the big chainring, are you holding the shifter for a second RWright?

RWright

Guru
The height and angle adjuster is covered in an app I have and they mention checking alignment of gear line and cage line, but the pic isn't overly helpful on this one element.

When your changing to the big chainring, are you holding the shifter for a second RWright?

No. On either my Ultegra or 105 it is a click and done. The 105 just takes quite a bit more pressure and it takes two clicks to go thru the trim. I can go right thru it with the Ultegra, much quicker. I don't have to hold either one though.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
No. One either my Ultegra or 105 it is a click and done. The 105 just takes quite a bit more pressure and it takes two clicks to go thru the trim. I can go right thru it with the Ultegra, much quicker. I don't have to hold either one though.

Not sure what this means mate?

Going to have a look at it after my ride tomorrow.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
the trim sets it into a position to click to the next ring quicker, moves the derailleur into a closer position

Sorry I'm being incredibly dumb here, where is the trim? What is clicking twice to go thru it? Closer position to the chainring?

Regarding the tyres, is it completely wrong to put blue tyres on a primarily silver with a dash of black bike? Haven't approached the rules on this one, may have to be boring and stick with black, but I do so love blue...

Top Bottom