Unbelievable another one walks free

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whilst I understand the legal difficulties of getting a conviction on a more serious charge, what galls me is that he was given a lenient sentence for what he was proven to be guilty of, after the magistrates had a 10 minute chat!
Don't suppose there's any chance the CPS will appeal the sentence?

As a slight aside; I don't know whether it's down to resources, leadership or both, but the few times I've had dealings with Hampshire police have all left me pretty unimpressed.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What were the circumstances around this "accident"? Thy don't go into much if any detail. Was the cyclist riding without lights for example? I know the motorist said he was drink, smoke and phone free but who believes that?!

Not wanting to start a new thread about such matters, i see the number of people using a phone while driving has risen and the chances of them being caught doing it has fallen.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-calls-drivers-automatic-bans.html#comments

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What were the circumstances around this "accident"? Thy don't go into much if any detail. Was the cyclist riding without lights for example? I know the motorist said he was drink, smoke and phone free but who believes that?!

Not wanting to start a new thread about such matters, i see the number of people using a phone while driving has risen and the chances of them being caught doing it has fallen.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-calls-drivers-automatic-bans.html#comments
No need to start a thread.... There already is one

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Whilst I understand the legal difficulties of getting a conviction on a more serious charge, what galls me is that he was given a lenient sentence for what he was proven to be guilty of, after the magistrates had a 10 minute chat!
I agree the sentence appears lenient but from poking around on the interbob it seems to be towards the upper end of penalties that can be imposed for the charge. They could have sent him to prison for a few months, but there's probably pressure from above to keep a lid on the prison population. Don't get me wrong, he's scum, but for this specific case I've got some sympathy with the authorities.
As a slight aside; I don't know whether it's down to resources, leadership or both, but the few times I've had dealings with Hampshire police have all left me pretty unimpressed.
My dealings were very underwhelming when I was hit by a driver in 2008 and I wouldn't bother reporting anything less than my own death for cycling incidents, if only for traffic management purposes. This was long before Teresa May got her hands on police numbers as well. Equally, I had to report a non-cycling incident earlier this year and they were excellent.

Tin Pot

Guru
Sorry but I disagree. Justice must be done, no less, but certainly no more.

You are railing against my position that justice must be seen to be done? Curious.

How do you think the populace of any society eventually responds when they repeatedly do not see justice being carried out in their name?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
You are railing against my position that justice must be seen to be done? Curious.

How do you think the populace of any society eventually responds when they repeatedly do not see justice being carried out in their name?
I've not 'railed' against anyone - I've made a reasoned argument that you're free to disagree with. I've also acknowledged that I'm conflicted in this particular case and understand why others might have a different opinion. If you check my post I'd removed that bit long before your last post as I didn't want exactly the type of hysterical nonsense you've just posted.

But seeing as you've asked then yes, I do have a real problem with mob justice, whether its the pedophile witch hunts of a few years ago where innocent people were attacked, the imprisonment of the Birmingham six (remember that the mob would have hung them) or the abuse of the blasphemy laws in Pakistan to persecute minorities and settle scores. Mob justice can turn on the innocent just as easily as the guilty.

Tin Pot

Guru
I've not 'railed' against anyone - I've made a reasoned argument that you're free to disagree with. I've also acknowledged that I'm conflicted in this particular case and understand why others might have a different opinion. If you check my post I'd removed that bit long before your last post as I didn't want exactly the type of hysterical nonsense you've just posted.

But seeing as you've asked then yes, I do have a real problem with mob justice, whether its the pedophile witch hunts of a few years ago where innocent people were attacked, the imprisonment of the Birmingham six (remember that the mob would have hung them) or the abuse of the blasphemy laws in Pakistan to persecute minorities and settle scores. Mob justice can turn on the innocent just as easily as the guilty.

I think that you misunderstand, the phrase "justice must be seen to be done".

And also that I am warning against mob justice, not for it.

As for "hysterical", I'm not sure what to say - here are no exclamation marks in my post.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

No, because appeals against too lenient sentences are only possible with certain indictable-only offences triable at the crown court.

Death by careless is an either way offence, triable at magistrates' court or crown.

Maximum sentence in magistrates is six months, maximum sentence in crown is five years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom