Unfortunate place names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Ah of course I've been to Intercourse in the heart of Amish country

intercoursesign2.jpe

I was going to simply post a picture of the sign for a Yorkshire village called "Fryup":

2390873927.jpg

Then I came cross this local press article:

Animal rights campaigners have got a beef with a tiny village in the Esk Valley called Fryup.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) think the village name is too synonymous with the greasy traditional English breakfast and want to make it sound more healthy.

So to coincide with World Vegan day tomorrow PETA has asked North Yorkshire County Council (NYCC) to change the name of the village, which has links back to Anglo-Saxon times.

It wants the village to be known as Vegan Fryup for the day and, if the new name is adopted, the group will cook up healthy breakfasts for local residents using faux bacon, veggie sausages, tofu eggs, toast with dairy free margerine and tea with soya milk to wash it all down.

PETA director Mimi Bekhechi said: “World Vegan Day is the perfect time to change Fryup’s name from that of a greasy, cholesterol-packed meal to one which reminds people around the county that we all can have delicious, healthy, cruelty-free meals.”

perplexed

Guru
With the current popularity of Scandinavian drama, I thought I'd put this up. I've not been there, but it's in Malmo, home of 'The Bridge'...

b46b1f11ebc7d520c41c917eeb8ad081.jpg

Cubist

Still wavin'
Somewhere in the depths of my hard drive I have a photo of a French butcher's, called Charcuterie de Kerlin Bastard.

Way back when, a new police station was opened in Bradford. It was in the famous village of Idle. The then Chief couldn't bear the thought of a whole division of Idle Police, so insisted it was renamed Eccleshill.

Top Bottom