United Kingdom of Scotland and Northen Ireland?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I reckon the next step should be to cut the state pension and age-related benefits, and abolish free prescriptions, TV licenses and bus passes. If the old feckers want to screw with us then two can play at that game... :evil:

I am only joking before the usual suspects start.

Ah, heck with it - I'm going to say it. Everybody knows that in the real world, pensions are paid out of current tax and NI contributions. It's also quite possible to claim entitlement to a state pension without paying any employee's Class 1 NI at all. So all that money that's been paid in has long gone, and the link between contributions and entitlement is broken. That means pensions are just like any other benefit - money paid to people to live on paid for out of general taxation. Except that unlike, say, unemployment benefit or working tax credits, pensioners can work as much as they like without it affecting their benefit. Makes you wonder who the scroungers are... :whistle:

What's that? Scapegoating's bad? Since when?

Drago

Legendary Member
Although not born there one side of my family hails from Shetland and I still own a house there myself. Feeling fluctuates, but the general mood is that they feel as remote from Edinburgh as the SNP do from London. Shetland, and maybe even Orkney, would be likely to go it alone of become voluntary Norwegian protectorates, which would instantly deprive Scotland of a lot of oil revenue. Not that its selling at a profit at the moment.

Although not born there one side of my family hails from Shetland and I still own a house there myself. Feeling fluctuates, but the general mood is that they feel as remote from Edinburgh as the SNP do from London. Shetland, and maybe even Orkney, would be likely to go it alone of become voluntary Norwegian protectorates, which would instantly deprive Scotland of a lot of oil revenue. Not that its selling at a profit at the moment.
Hmmm - which is it?

- holiday-home owner, who's misremembered a coupla sessions down the pub with locals?
- somebody with a finely tuned understanding of the culture and legalities of Orkney and Shetland?

:whistle:

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Whilst my city voted Leave, the only posters I saw on my street were for Remain. There's a lovely big park across the road, with a half pipe for BMXes, a bouncy castle and a canoe lake with swans on. Can we join in?

gavintc

Guru
Looks like SF are suggesting a vote for a united Ireland and SNP may seek another exit vote. The seeds of disintegration of the Union have been planted.

I can't see SF winning a vote in NI but Scotland may be a different matter - unless the oil price drop has scuppered their economic plans.

Interesting days we live in.
Looks like more than seeds to me. All you brexiters have done more in a night than years of SNP campaigning.

[QUOTE 4338339, member: 43827"]Big decision for Scotland to make. To be propped up by England or the EU.[/QUOTE]
Yawn

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I reckon the next step should be to cut the state pension and age-related benefits, and abolish free prescriptions, TV licenses and bus passes. If the old feckers want to screw with us then two can play at that game... :evil:

I am only joking before the usual suspects start.

I rather suspect that's pretty much going to follow. The "one nation" tories are out of it for now, so the right wing lot will be in the ascedant, presumably shortly to be (re-)joined by UKIP folks. I suspect social justice and the NHS will not be high on the agenda. Although I was on the"remain" side I think it was as much about Tory internal politics as anything, and the above is a rational prediction, not a dig.

I further think Boris is the most likely leader. He has plaid this brilliantly - got rid of Cameron without per-se been seen as a traitor, ended up on the winning side, and can now present himself as the (only?) unity candidate. He's a cynical opportunist who probably has no real view of the EU either way. Paradoxically, being a cynical opportunist may make him the best remaining option for getting us through the coming mess. Anyone else will likely actively divide the country and pick on minorities, perhaps Muslims, perhaps central Europeans to blame them for the invevitable economic problems coming our way. Boris may well be able to get some kind of a deal from the EU countries has he may seem less agressive than some.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hmmm - which is it?

- holiday-home owner, who's misremembered a coupla sessions down the pub with locals?
- somebody with a finely tuned understanding of the culture and legalities of Orkney and Shetland?

:whistle:
Its not a holiday home. I used to live jn in full time until I came darn sarf for work after leaving the army. Its now rented out full time, so when I go up for a break I have to rent somewhere to stay myself.

I'd go back tomorrow now I'm retired from full time work, but the Missus is nervous being a Cov girl so it'd be a big step for her. We've tentatively agreed well go back when my youngest finishes primary school, so looks like 6 years, by which point ill be almost 55 - still young enough to enjoy it.

Top Bottom