United Kingdom of Scotland and Northen Ireland?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
How did you get on in Shetland ?

I'm in Shetland at the moment and I love the place; given the opportunity, I'd certainly consider moving there.
It's alien - definitely foreign. Which, when you think that it's as far from the South-East of England as northern Italy and Spain, is not surprising. It's not a place I think either of us could live - although I love the isolation I think I'd hate the sense that everyone knows who you are and what you're doing. And culturally it's pretty much a desert.

On the other hand, the scenery and wildlife are spectacular.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
But difficult to see in the winter

srw

But difficult to see in the winter
They have a few hours of daylight...

Actually, I don't want to underestimate the oddness (to someone who's lived all his life in the South-East of England) of having 24-hour light. Shetland is far enough north that during the summer (apparently it's early May to early August) the sky never quite gets dark. We were there just after midsummer, when sunset was at 10:30pm. The sky was still light enough at 12:30 (about 40 minutes before solar midnight) to take a walk on an unmarked footpath across rough grassland without a torch, and without any fear of mis-stepping. Also light enough for photography at clock midnight...
IMGP8595.jpg

It might be a very good place for a long midsummer's night ride to the coast - 90-odd miles from Sumburgh at the bottom of Mainland to Skaw at the top of Unst. A bit of a bugger to get to, though, and a distinct shortage of places for mid-way munchies. And it's a hell of a long way to the nearest railway station.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
It's alien - definitely foreign.

Indeed, it is much more Scandinavian than Scottish.

It's not a place I think either of us could live - although I love the isolation

I could certainly live there and many of my family do, but it must be hard work in the winter months - which seem to run from the end of August, to the end of May.

This is where my Aunt lives - a wonderful place . . . in the Summer.
IMG_0529.JPG

And culturally it's pretty much a desert.

This ^^^ is very much a matter of personal taste and like anywhere, you just have to know where to go. Shetland has (pro rata) very many young and talented musicians - last night, I was in the Lounge Bar in Lerwick and the quality of the musicianship was of the highest order.

The scenery and the wildlife are wonderful.

Yesterday, we went to St Ninian's Isle; the tombolo beach must be one of the best beaches in Europe. We swam in the (clean) sea, with seals pretty close by. After this, we went to Sumburgh Head to take a look at the puffins. We'd not been there long, when a pod of orcas came into view; they kept in close to the face of the cliffs and using the rocks as cover, we saw them ambush an unfortunate seal - it was the most amazing thing that I've ever seen. I didn't capture the kill on film, but I managed to snap a couple of the orcas shortly afterwards.

IMG_1887.JPG

Later in the evening, I went to the Lounge Bar and listened to the live music; I was designated driver, so I was on diet coke all night. It was the best day that I've had in years.

srw

Where was this ^^^ taken ? Mousa broch ?
Exactly. I'd gone away from the broch a little way to ...errr.... refresh myself privately, and was struck by the potential of what I was seeing. Lots of people waiting patiently for stormy petrels to come home in the twilight - ordinary people as well as mad German birdwatchers. Mousa broch is an astonishing site - we'd seen the remnants of Brochs in Orkney but it's unique in being pretty well preserved to its original height.

I'm afraid that a diet of Shetland folk, lovely though it is, wouldn't last us more than a week or two. We need something more substantial, and Mrs W needs a church with a proper choir (and I could do with a proper organ to play). We didn't explore the pubs - there seems to be a dearth of nice relaxing places for a quiet drink.

Yesterday, we went to St Ninian's Isle; the tombolo beach must be one of the best beaches in Europe. We swam in the (clean) sea, with seals pretty close by. After this, we went to Sumburgh Head to take a look at the puffins. We'd not been there long, when a pod of orcas came into view;

Did I ever mention that I hate you? The day we went to St Ninian's was just too cold to even think about swimming, and we missed orcas travelling through Lerwick harbour simply by being asleep. We went out on a little boat to see the gannets and guillemots off Noss the same day, and the pilot was keeping his eyes peeled.

Drago

Legendary Member
They're just mind blowing. Nothing quite beats stepping out the back door for a fag (I used to smerk back then) and spotting a seal down the end of the garden.

I intend to return there with a pension and a knackered series III Land Rover to show for a lifetime of graft, and then return slowly to nature myself, aided by the large quantities of Laphroaig I intend to bring with me.

PaulB

Legendary Member
It's alien - definitely foreign. Which, when you think that it's as far from the South-East of England as northern Italy and Spain, is not surprising. It's not a place I think either of us could live - although I love the isolation I think I'd hate the sense that everyone knows who you are and what you're doing. And culturally it's pretty much a desert.

Be great if kite flying was one of your hobbies. Or you wanted to dry your washing naturally.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Mousa broch is an astonishing site - we'd seen the remnants of Brochs in Orkney but it's unique in being pretty well preserved to its original height.

Yes, Mousa is an amazing broch and as you've mentioned, it is very well preserved. The primary reason for it being so intact, is simply by virtue of location - the other brochs were de-constructed, the stone being used for other buildings. Because of where it is located, there was simply no requirement for the stone to be used elsewhere on Mousa.

I'm afraid that a diet of Shetland folk, lovely though it is, wouldn't last us more than a week or two. We need something more substantial, and Mrs W needs a church with a proper choir (and I could do with a proper organ to play). We didn't explore the pubs - there seems to be a dearth of nice relaxing places for a quiet drink.

In many ways, Shetland isn't 'cut out' for tourists - but that's exactly how I like it. I hope that they don't start making concessions for the tourists; thankfully, they've avoided the direction followed by many 'touristy' places - you won't find any MacDonalds, KFCs, BurgerKings, amusement arcades, funfair rides, shops selling cheap (and not so cheap) souvenirs made in China etc., etc., though of course, I realise that none of these would appeal to someone of your own discerning taste and refinement.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
The day we went to St Ninian's was just too cold to even think about swimming,

I didn't do much swimming - the sea was so cold, I could hardly breathe, but fortunately, it was a hot day.

We went out on a little boat to see the gannets and guillemots off Noss the same day, and the pilot was keeping his eyes peeled.

If the sea isn't very rough, Noss is great for gannets and guillemots - the trip you went on might have been one run by friends of mine - Alan & Robbi. Robbi is rather 'zany' character from Ohio and quite theatrical in the way in which she presents her information.

we missed orcas travelling through Lerwick harbour simply by being asleep.

Seeing orcas, is largely down to luck - apparently, last Monday, the ferry to Aberdeen was followed by orcas for a mile or so, as it left Lerwick.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I'm assuming you don't visit then...

No, we did visit - I was there yesterday and I'll be going again tomorrow - I'll be in Shetland until early next week. The weather has been glorious . . . unusually.

My aunt's place is in quite a remote spot - the nearest house to the site of the Braer oil disaster.

No, we did visit - I was there yesterday and I'll be going again tomorrow - I'll be in Shetland until early next week. The weather has been glorious . . . unusually.

My aunt's place is in quite a remote spot - the nearest house to the site of the Braer oil disaster.
Maybe one day you and @Drago can meet up.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Maybe one day you and @Drago can meet up.

Not as easy as one might imagine - I'm on Burra Isle and it is quite a trek to where @Drago lives. That said, I'm off up to the most northerly point of Shetland on Saturday; a few months ago, I made a (rash) decision to enter the Unst Half Marathon. At the time, I promised myself that I'd do some training, lose weight and eat the right things - the reality, is that I've done feck all training, eaten all the wrong things and put on weight.

Top Bottom