'unrestricted use of 'the queen's' highway'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A reader writes a letter in our local rag about his belief that it should be possible to 'bring a class action law suit against the Council' for 'discriminating against motorists' by implementing bus lanes. Bus lanes, which are used in cities around the globe, are intended to cut congestion. However, the letter writer argues that he thinks paying road tax[sic] should allow drivers 'unrestricted use of 'the queen's' highway'

In my ignorance, I thought the Highway ran from property line to property line, and included the footway, so they haven't got unrestricted use anyway, or have they?

PS. I copied the subject header of an email I was sent. Is that a surplus apostrophe? It looks messy.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In my ignorance, I thought the Highway ran from property line to property line, and included the footway, so they haven't got unrestricted use anyway, or have they?
The precise definition of highway depends on the context but generally, motorists haven't got unrestricted use in any sense and are only there by licence. Plus www.IPayRoadTax.com

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
PS. I copied the subject header of an email I was sent. Is that a surplus apostrophe? It looks messy.
Yes, there should only be one, between the n and the s. Or it's in the wrong place, as there should be two at the end if you're going to keep the one at the beginning.

Standard of punctuation there obviously on a par with standard of thinking...

winjim

Smash the cistern
Yes, there should only be one, between the n and the s. Or it's in the wrong place, as there should be two at the end if you're going to keep the one at the beginning.

Standard of punctuation there obviously on a par with standard of thinking...
There's only one apostrophe, but two sets of quotation marks.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Out pendanted, bye gad!
You are, of course, correct, sir!

I misread, I assumed they meant "the queen's highway" and not "the queen's" highway. :blush:

[hence illustrating the value of sometimes using double quotes]

I'll go away now...
:tongue:

Mile195

Veteran
My only gripe with bus lanes is that buses are still allowed to use them... Forever getting in my way. Don't they know I pay road tax??

Top Bottom