Update on my hit and run.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
In July I was victim of a deliberate hit and run.
The driver had threatened to kill me, followed me through the streets, knocked me over and then fled. What caused him to be so angry remains a mystery. I was riding my usual route to work, he had wanted to turn right across me into a parking space and had to wait for me to pass.
He took flight, and was found in another part of the country around a month later. He has been held on remand since that time.
After being generally uncooperative he eventually pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and assault occasion ing actual bodily harm.
It has transpired that at the time he assaulted me he was serving a suspended sentence for a similar offence, whilst working as a taxi driver and had also just been convicted of a seperate careless driving offence.
He was sentenced today to two years in prison and also received a four year driving ban.

G3CWI

Veteran
Wow! Result. Must have been dreadful for you.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
at the time he assaulted me he was serving a suspended sentence for a similar offence, whilst working as a taxi driver and had also just been convicted of a seperate careless driving offence.

Quite how a judge can imagine this guy should ever be allowed behind the wheel again is beyond me. Using a vehicle as a weapon should be an automatic life ban.

Anyway, I'm glad you got this outcome, it's just a pity you had to go through what you did.

GC

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Great news for you. At least you can ride free of the worry that he's going to have another go.

What a total idiot he must be. The catching of him and sentencing him has been quite swift, in the grand scheme of things too.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Sadly he'll probably be out in less than a year and back behind a wheel within 24 hours of his release. Morons are like that. Still, it's definitely a result as far as it goes, and no doubt some of his more sentient acquaintances will hear the news and take on board the implicit message: bullying people with a car can get you into proper trouble. Every little helps.

glad you have some sort of result from this.

I'm not sure time in prison is always the best answer, forcing him to deal with the cause of the aggression would be have been better, and it is a shame that he will be allowed to drive again and will probably be behind the wheel before that point anyhow, but it is a good result from the point of view that he has been found and convicted which is a really good result in this day and age.

Top Bottom