Upgrade Gears to Shifter/Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sitchey

Hi

I'm only starting to get back into cycling and bought a mid range bike to start to see if I would put it to use. I went for the Apollo Envoy hybrid from halfords.

The bike is ok for a starter, but the gears are driving me nuts. The bike has shimano
18 speed gears controlled by a grip shift. My prob is that it takes ages for a gear that is selected to get to that gear. Also in the wet the grip becomes really wet and so is even difficult to turn.

So I'm hoping to upgrade the gears to a brake/gear shifter and was looking some advice.

I found an 18 speed shimano shifter in eBay which is compatible. Before i order i wanted to ask for advice on changing the gears. I don't have much experience building bikes but am useful with my hands. Is it a simple enough process or will this need to be done by a bike shop? If it's simple enough would anyone have a few pointers/guide to follow?

Also when you remove the old grip gear can I reuse the existing handle bar and maybe buy some new grips?

Any help and advice would be great.

Thanks

@sitchey I don't have any experience with the type of shifters you are on about, but it is straight forward enough, I am sure someone will be along at some point and point you in the right direction.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome: Don't blame you for getting rid of Gripshift and yes changing the controls is relatively simple, if you start getting stuck a cuppa and Google are your best friends. The handlebars will be fine but there's 1 trick you should know when fitting grips leave plenty of room to slide the whole grip on as you can then position the controls back to the grips and the best product for fitting grips is HAIRSPRAY (I jest not) just make sure the bars and grips are dry and clean with no oily fingerprints then spray a bit on the bars and a bit inside the grips and they'll just slide on then it sets in 5-10 mins.
A tip to remove grips is slide a thin screwdriver (or a barbeque skewer) between the bar and grip then insert the red plastic tube on a WD40 can and spray oil under the grip, remove the screwdriver then wiggle and spray until they slide off you can then clean the inside with Fairy liquid and warm water and once dry refit as above.

OP
OP
S

sitchey

Cheers guys. Never thought about hairspray lol. Hopefully wife doesn't kill me lol

Going to buy new shifters and grips this week.

As for shifters, they come with gear and brake cables on the shifters already.

I take it all I would have to do is removed the old cables and then run these cables down to the gears?

The shifters I'm buying are here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221050498913

jay clock

Massive member
Those rapid fire will be a big improvement. Grip shift are a bugger and replacing the cables very fiddly. I would personally replace all the cables (inner and possibly outer) at the same time. A good quality pair of cable cutters is useful and definitely essential for the outers. If need be nip to an LBS and ask them to cut them to the right lengths

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I wouldn't bother changing the outers unless the bike is over 2 yrs old, I would suggest keeping the original shifters in case of re-sale as a lot of people (wrongly) think that gripshift is better.:crazy:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
As for shifters, they come with gear and brake cables on the shifters already.
Gear cables only, by the looks of things.
I take it all I would have to do is removed the old cables and then run these cables down to the gears?
Depends - it's a while since I did non-road cabling, but if you can get enough slack in the cable to take the handle end out of its "hole", it should be easy enough.

If might help to mark the cable ends (I'd use electrical tape, eg red for brakes) get them free, then stick a wrap of tape on them so it's clear what they're for.

If you end up having to replace the brake cables, Fibrax make a really nice PTFE coated cable that works a treat. I'd agree with previous posters that replacing the outers (the housing) is probably overkill on a new bike.

Identifying cables from the cable head;
http://www.bikeman.com/bicycle-repair-tech-info/bikeman-tech-info/1641-cables-a-housing

Once you know what your shifters are, Shimano's technical docs can be helpful too - easy to print and take to the shed as well.

jay clock

Massive member
Bear in mind gear and brake inner cables are different

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A good quality pair of cable cutters is useful and definitely essential for the outers. If need be nip to an LBS and ask them to cut them to the right lengths

This^

I have a pair of Park cable cutters which were a bit pricey but the thing is they cut the cables (inner and outer) neatly and save sooooo much frustraton and bodgery.

Leaway2

Lycrist
For cable cutters I use a pair of pliers that have a cutter built in. They do a good job. It may save you a few quid if you already have some.
pliers.jpg

OP
OP
S

sitchey

I wouldn't bother changing the outers unless the bike is over 2 yrs old, I would suggest keeping the original shifters in case of re-sale as a lot of people (wrongly) think that gripshift is better.:crazy:
Yes I'll be keeping the old shifters encase of a future sale.

I wonder if people who like grip shift have tried to use them in the rain with slippy hands and soaked gloves lol

OP
OP
S

sitchey

Gear cables only, by the looks of things.

Depends - it's a while since I did non-road cabling, but if you can get enough slack in the cable to take the handle end out of its "hole", it should be easy enough.

If might help to mark the cable ends (I'd use electrical tape, eg red for brakes) get them free, then stick a wrap of tape on them so it's clear what they're for.

If you end up having to replace the brake cables, Fibrax make a really nice PTFE coated cable that works a treat. I'd agree with previous posters that replacing the outers (the housing) is probably overkill on a new bike.

Identifying cables from the cable head;
http://www.bikeman.com/bicycle-repair-tech-info/bikeman-tech-info/1641-cables-a-housing

Once you know what your shifters are, Shimano's technical docs can be helpful too - easy to print and take to the shed as well.
Yea your are right no brake cables. So will need to buy a new length of cable as doubt I will be able to reuse of connect the existing brake cable to the new shifter?

Coated cables would be nice as when adjusting or feeding cables they usually fray and then end up slicing ur fingers with the sharp ends lol

paul04

Über Member
Top Bottom