Upgrade my Carrera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

San Marco

Hello everybody (just registered).

Last summer I decided to try cycling a bit more seriously than just going out on my hybrid for a short ride along a Sustrans path. I therefore went for a road bike, and took advantage of what now seems a perpetual discount at Halfords and bought a Carrera TDF for £295.

I've been going out regularly on weekends, sometimes with a friend who's also a newby, but mostly by myself. Initially shortish flat rides, which I've gradually increased to about 40 miles including some steepish hills, and doing an average 16mph (according to Strava).

Every time despite weather or strong winds, I come back home with a massive smile on my face and a great feeling of achievement. I love the bike and the freedom it gives you, this is certainly a lot of fun for under £300. The bike works like clock work, I clean it and maintain it and so far has been trouble free. Only thing I changed were the pedals and fitted Continental Gatorskin tyres when I bought it. Ohh and I got a proper bike fitting.

I'm thinking about joining a local cycling club. My question now is... Is it time to change bikes? Maybe keep the Carrera for winter, buy something else worth up to £1200?

Is there really THAT much difference between my bike and say a Cube Peloton Race, Planet X Carbon, Specialized Rubaix, Bianchi Impulso? (Bikes I fancy or have good reviews in general).

I've not had the chance to ride anything else other than what I have, which has been adequate and as I said puts a smile on my face. Apart from reduced weight, sharper gears, what should I expect from a £1k plus bike? I've shed 4.5Kg myself from exercise and diet alone. That's the difference between my current frame and a really light bike!

Thanks for reading. Any advise, opinions or ideas would be much welcome.

San Marco

MikeW-71

Veteran
There will be quite a difference. Reduced weight, better power transfer, handling, comfort, better wheels. You will also notice different gearing. The majority of bikes at the entry level (and slightly above too) will have a compact 50/34 chainset, so you will have easier climbing gears available (TDF uses a 52/39). Get a test ride on some, that will tell you everything you need to know.

You won't suddenly go 5mph faster on the flat, but you should climb better and easier and use less energy.

There is nothing wrong with using the Carrera for Club rides though. To get a performance boost, you could upgrade the wheels (you can then put them on a future bike as well).

If you're loving cycling and just fancy a new bike (and can afford it) then go for it. That's what I did :smile:

young Ed

Veteran
well apart from an increase in smug factor when buying a brand new roabaix or so the main things are lighter and better quality components
the geometry will be different and thus it will handle and ride differently

i rode someone elses TDF a while ago and also rode their £1,800 Trek Domane 4.3 i think it was which is fully carbon so these are complete opposites of road bikes! the trek felt great and very responsive and you could really feel the better quality components etc also due to the lower gearing vs the TDF i flew up hills
but really the TDF is a great bike for what little dosh it costs (£300 is normal price) but is simply heavier and with the higher stock gearing it is a lot slower up hills

i would say if you have the money then go and test ride loads of potential bike at good LBS's (local bike shop's) and see what the difference is yourself and then make up your mind
Cheers Ed

Kies

If you fancy a better bike - and have the cash - then yes go for it, but the TDF is a solid performer. A decent wheelset ( Fulcrum racing 3's for example) , would improve your bike greatly.
Having said all that and looking at the riding you have done ... i would buy a better bike with quality components and indeed keep the TDF as your winter trainer

nazzurro19

i had the zelos the model inder the tdf and ive now swapped it in for a new allez elite , the test ride in the elite made my mind up instantly the difference in feel from the weight the acceleration the road vibrations just in general it felt alot more solid sturdyier and the gear changes were impeccibly smooth, i was humming and harring for about an hour wether i wanted to spend near a grand on a bike ( i always told myself it was stupid and not beneficial) but the test ride just totally blew me away

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hubster has a Carerra Vanquish as his winter bike. When he got seriously bitten by the bug he went out and bought a Boardman Team Carbon and has never looked back. He loves the lighter weight, the better handling and the fact that he can keep up. He's got fitter riding it as he likes it so much better. The carerra was great, he still rides it. I take it to the shops occasionally too, its a nice bike. The Boardman is better though.

If you want a new bike, go and buy one.^_^:bicycle:

L14M

Über Member
Read the logic behind building a bike using the TDF as a donor in my zelos thread.. Put it this way, Tiagra groupset and full carbon frame + forks for under £800.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I have a TDF that I pimped up with new wheels, groupset, pedals and the like. I used it everyday for around 8 months; it was a great bike and still is.
But recently I've upgraded to a Roubaix SL4. The difference in weight is phenomenal and I fly up hills now with the better gearing. And it accelerates like a bugger on the flats when you put the power down.
As others have said, if you can afford an upgrade then do it. You will notice a huge difference. But I can't really knock the TDF at just under £300, it was a really good bike and still is. I might even sell it.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I still use a virtuoso for commuting / winter rides and in the last couple of weeks its had the stock cxp 22 wheels from the boardman, upgraded the brake calipers to "sora " from the stock tektro as the front was falling to bits , new cassette+ chain and a new headset about 2 months ago .This bike still gives me lots of fun and is good for " base training " ( shh another thread pun :thumbsup:) as with panniers comes in a good 16 kg .I have used htis on many a club run and a sportive and it was fine .
I am considering a sidegrade to claris but i intend to stay on 8 speed as long as possible on it as i find the wear rate on parts better than 10 speed and i do have about 2 years worth of bits in stock .
When i switch to the boardman which i just added rs11 wheelset it literally feels like i am flying even though compared to some its not a lightweight coming in just under 9 kg .

Peteaud

Veteran
As has been said, keep the TDF for winter and buy a new / better bike for summer.

£1200 spent wisely, i.e last years model (just a differenct colour many times) gets you into some really serious bikes.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Get some mudguards and make it your wet/winter bike. Probably worth putting some better wheels on even if you do get a new bike as well. If you wait for sales, you can get a noticeable wheel upgrade for well under £100.

OP
OP
San Marco

San Marco

Thanks to you all guys. Very informative responses.

As I see things, I have the following options:

1) Keep the Carrera, but get better wheels. These could be
a) a permanent upgrade for about £100 (if on sale? Any suggestions?) as suggested by Norry1. Total investment : £100
b) a much better wheel upgrade (will Campagnolo Zonda be considered here?), which can then be used on a future bike. Total investment : £350ish?

2) Keep Carrera as winter/training (maybe with better wheels), and buy a new bike, horay !!
Any Suggestions?? Are my shorlisted models ok? A good thing is any surplus componentry from future upgrades could be ' inherired' by the TDF. Total investment : £1200-£1400.

3) build a carbon frame based bike as L14M suggests, using the TDF as part of the investment. Hmmm... I don't yet have the technical know how to do this. I guess the £800 estimate that was mentioned doesn't include any labour, so I think for now I'd leave this option. I don't want to get rid of my first bike either.

Hmmm... Decisions decisions...
Ohhh and... How will I get this by the wife??? any Ebay or Amazon 'special gifts' I sometimes arrange delivery to my office ;), but this???

Top Bottom