Upgrades for a Giant Defy 5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
What would be the key upgrades be for this bike when the cash is spare ? Cycling has changed a lot since I owned a Raleigh banana so I don't really know where to look and what for .

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
wheels, wheels and again wheels - but also tyres and tubes........then after that components and weight loss

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive swapped the tyres to gatorskins , what wheels do you recommend ? As for weight loss , is that me or the bike ? I have trouble getting over 9 stone fully clothed , dripping wet and full of beer .

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Ive swapped the tyres to gatorskins , what wheels do you recommend ? As for weight loss , is that me or the bike ? I have trouble getting over 9 stone fully clothed , dripping wet and full of beer .
Weight loss was for you, but only if needed amd it seems you dont

I would get some handbuilt wheels around he 2/300pound mark. Aftrr that maybe carbon forks as the dfy 5 has steel ones

Then its a minefield from there - or you could keep the defy aa a winter bike and get n+1

Cyclist33

i found the stock giant wheels to be fine so have kept them on mine and left the better Fulcrum wheels elsewhere.

i would say contact points, oft overlooked but key to comfort and therefore enjoyment. go. to specialized concept store and get a saddle fitting. get some good pedals, either clip-in pedals or some solid platforms eg DMR v8s, and consider some quality bar tape, i think giant stores sell fizik tape but also specialized phat tape comes well regarded.

i upgraded my defy 3 with an external chainset and a carbon fibre seatpost, cant really say i notice performance or comfort gains from either of these.

stu

Kies

I have the defy 1 2012 version. The stock wheels have covered 2000 miles approx, and I changed two tyres at 1200 miles. I would leave the bike pretty stock and look at a higher spec bike in a year or two depending on how much you use this one. Defy 5 would make an excellent winter bike with mudguards

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Pedals are next on the list I think . I just need to decide if I want the shoes or not .

Generally tyres wear out first and they are one of the best upgrades IMO, its a no brainer and when the wheel wear out consider upgrading them.

I'm assuming you've already went clipless (you wont gain much, if anything going to a different system), if you haven't that should maybe be your first upgrade.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I just took off the flimsy straps that came with the bike , trying to get my feet in those while working out the gears and staying upright on the thin tyres was causing traffic chaos :laugh:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Personally I'd just ride the bike as it is until you really need to change anything.

Only reasons I can think of changing anything is for greater reliability/durability, comfort or speed through reduced bike weight.

If the latter and you wish to improve your speed/endurance whatever I'd ride what you have until your performance gains look like they are plateauing - then have a think about options.

As for wheels, there's post after post on here re: better wheels. But before you buy maybe borrow some to see if you can notice any differences. Apparently my 32H Giant S-R2 wheels are 'not good' but they move in a circle which is good and apart from that have stayed dead true in 8 months of bashing my CX over pot-holed lanes, green roads, bridleways and fire trails, all with no spoke breakages. I had some RS30's on loan to try and they looked less than substantial to me (although they did look nice) and I didn't fancy them at all for rougher routes plus they make the most irritating 'whooshing' noise when on the move. My Giant wheels are virtually silent. Apart from the noise issue I noticed precisely zero difference in acceleration and rolling resistance. They felt exactly the same to me. However, maybe I am just insensitive!

Berties

Fast and careful!
Tyres first the ones that come on a giant are made of butter,I had specific front and backs on my advanced lasted less than a month,I traded my wheels from new but that's not necessary ,just ride and change things as you feel the need

Top Bottom