Upgrading 700c wheels on a Giant Defy 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have recently bought a Giant Defy 3 and am looking at some point to upgrade the wheels to something better than the Alex DA22s on them already.

However, I don't know whether I need to replace the 9 speed cassette that comes with the bike. Here is the full spec but I don't know, due to inexperience, whether I can upgrade without having to find a rear wheel with a separate 9-speed cassette. Does that make sense?
http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/road/2428/32462/?collections_id=4

I was rather hoping I wouldn't have to...here's the spec anyway and if as I think I just have to buy the wheels and get my LBS to fit the cassette back on the new wheels then what would you recommend? Looking to spend around £150, preferably on ebay if you catch my drift. :wacko:

AS always thanks for any effort expended...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The cassette will come straight off the old wheels and onto the new ones. No problem there. Wheels don't come with a cassette on them.

As for what wheels to get - my personal bias would be for handbuilt Mavic Open Pro rims on hubs as good as you can afford. At £150, that's likely to be Tiagra. Built properly, you'll get a set of light wheels that are pretty much bombproof. I've taken my ones up mountains, touring and a little light off-road.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Save up for some Campagnolo Zonda's or Eurus' - second hand pairs go for around the £200 mark. You have to be a bit patient waiting for the right pair to come up but they do make a big difference.

These are middle ranking reliable non-aero wheels - the only downside is that you will also discover aero wheels exist and these will empty your wallet Sam!

ps -also Fulcrum Racing 3/5's are roughly the same as the above

eghttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-Fulcr...ikeparts_SR?hash=item3a57ce5421#ht_691wt_1165

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Okay, thanks chaps. Those fulcrums come with the hubs then do they Pete? Sorry for the ignoramasaurus rearing his gormless head again but do most wheels come with hubs or do you, or can you buy them separately?

And, if I was to bid on them, what do you reckon would be the top price I should pay and would they fit the Giant spec (though I presume they do).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The doc is right about handbuilts though.

I'd skip mavic, personally, their prices have got a bit silly lately. DRC do good rims at decent prices - talk to your local wheel builder. My handbuilts were DRC ST18 II rims on Tiagra. Lovely wheels, and no bother with proprietary spokes, stupid low spoke counts &c &c.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Monsieur Remings said:
Okay, thanks chaps. Those fulcrums come with the hubs then do they Pete? Sorry for the ignoramasaurus rearing his gormless head again but do most wheels come with hubs or do you, or can you buy them separately?
Yep.

A wheel is hub + spokes + rim - anything else is just the bits, innit.

The rear wheel will have a freehub body (that can be replaced entirely, so its removable) but your wheel should come with it.

Changing a cassette is really easy, and worth knowing how to do (that way you can keep your Alex' for poor weather, commuting &c, and save your good wheels for best).

Simple instructions here;

http://bicycletutor.com/replace-cassette-cluster/

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
John the Monkey said:
Yep.

A wheel is hub + spokes + rim - anything else is just the bits, innit.

The rear wheel will have a freehub body (that can be replaced entirely, so its removable) but your wheel should come with it.

Changing a cassette is really easy, and worth knowing how to do (that way you can keep your Alex' for poor weather, commuting &c, and save your good wheels for best).

Simple instructions here;

http://bicycletutor.com/replace-cassette-cluster/

You will need to buy wheels with cassette hubs that match the make of your drive-train as wheels are either Shimano or Campagnolo compatible.

There are lots of sexy choices out there, but for all round reliable usability I'd also go with Open Pro rims on the best hubs you can buy.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
John the Monkey said:
The doc is right about handbuilts though.

I'd skip mavic, personally, their prices have got a bit silly lately. DRC do good rims at decent prices - talk to your local wheel builder. My handbuilts were DRC ST18 II rims on Tiagra. Lovely wheels, and no bother with proprietary spokes, stupid low spoke counts &c &c.

Thanks to one and all. I presume you mean DRC rims on Tiagra hubs?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
That's correct.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Monsieur Remings said:

And, if I was to bid on them, what do you reckon would be the top price I should pay and would they fit the Giant spec (though I presume they do).

You need to ask the Seller if they are Shimano or Campag,how old they are and whether they are true and if there is any damage to the rims,hubs and spokes. He doesn't seem to want to give any indication of the condition so I would be a little wary- just linking it as an example of what you can look out for.

monkeypony

Yes you'll need to buy the spokes seperately. You'll also need to know what length to buy.

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/ This site should help you with that.

Then you'll need a jig to build the wheels in.

Then you'll need to drive yourself slowly insane as each adjustment you make to true the wheel for left to right movement turns your rim slightly egg shaped and you need to then cure the up and down movement. Which will effect the left to right movement......

Trust me - good wheelbuilding is a real art. Get a pro to build the wheels for you. Its a lot easier and an expensive wheel badly built is far worse than a cheap factory wheel!

monkeypony

Thats not a bad price really. The hubs are worth about £130 on their own.

Wont be as good as handbuilt wheels but will do the job very well.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
monkeypony said:
Trust me - good wheelbuilding is a real art. Get a pro to build the wheels for you. Its a lot easier and an expensive wheel badly built is far worse than a cheap factory wheel!
It's a process, imo. Be methodical, start with good quality bits & do your measurements carefully.

I highly recommend Roger Musson's Wheelbuilding e-book as a fantastic place to start.

Top Bottom