Urge your MP to attend this landmark debate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Thought I'd post this self-explanatory email, taken from another cycling group:

masthead.png

cycle_button.png

line-break-2.jpg

Dear Reader
A landmark debate on cycling will take place in the House of Commons on Monday, September 2, when MPs will debate the findings of the Get Britain Cycling report. This calls on the Government to increase investment in cycling across the UK.
This debate only came about because almost 70,000 people, perhaps including you, signed our vital e-petition. Thank you so much for doing so.
Now we are requesting that you to write to your MP and implore him or her to attend the debate on your behalf. You can do so on our campaign page here.
The result of your actions would not only improve safety for the 750,000 cyclists who already commute to work by bike in Britain, but would also have a significant impact in reducing traffic jams for motorists, easing overcrowding on public transport and saving millions from local health budgets.
When we last asked you to contact your MP in February 2012, more than 4,000 of you did so, which resulted in 77 MPs attending a debate on cycling in Westminster Hall. Many said they attended because they had been contacted by their constituents.
Almost 18 months later, we would urge you to do the same.
Thank you for your continued support.

John Witherow
Editor of The Times

snorri

Legendary Member
It's a bit disappointing that while Mr Witherow continues to claim he is leading a Britain wide campaign he has as yet failed to engage with the politicians who have responsibility for transport issues in Scotland.

Ern1e

Über Member
Recieved a very nice reply from my M.P. today he seems quite keen to attend on my behalf (tongue in cheek) also contained a few mind blowing facts on the spending they are allocating for this.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I wrote my MP about this, and got a nice reply, he said he would do his best to attend, though it's the first day back in parliament and things can get busy. He seemed genuine enough, saying that his wife had just cycled LEJOG for charity and that cycling is very much a topic dear his family's heart.

I'd be interested to find out what happens at this debate.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My MP will wait to see how Cameron farts and then vote that way, thus making sure he stays within party lines. (sorry to be so crude but that is the truth of it!!)

That is not the truth of it, it is your opinion.

If you knew the way our MP has voted in parliament and read his statements, maybe you would agree with me. Actually the only reason he is an MP for this constituency is because the constituency boundrys were changed and a village was brought in that would vote for a stone provided it was declared to be a Conservative stone.

redhanded

I wrote to my MP (Mary McLeod, Conservative, Brentford & Isleworth) and got a nice reply from her admin saying that she planned to attend and speak at the debate, welcomed the points I made and she may mention these.

CS9 is planned through the constituency and I was making the point that we needed something better than blue paint splashed on the road (that is the summary version!)

We'll see what happens... however I'm cynical as the tories in the area are totally pro-car and get into a lather if someone dares to restrict their right to park and drive where ever they feel like and pandering to those bloody cyclists may not go down well.

Ern1e

Über Member
That is not the truth of it, it is your opinion.
It may well be cush's opinion but the reply I got was very simular to yours except his wife cycling ! so there just may be some truth behind his opinion we shall just have to wait and see what and how they vote should that information ever become available to us mere mortals.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think I'll write to my MP and say that every penny spent on cycling is money down the drain

Top Bottom